Friday, September 7, 2012

New Car!

I bought a new car!

I'm excited because it's the first time in my (long) life that I ever bought a new car for myself.  Twice I bought new cars for women in my life, but never for myself.  (I tend to treat others better than I treat myself.)

Also, it's been almost three years since I've had any automobile, new or used.  During that period, I've been riding motorcycles every day.  As much as I enjoy that, there are days in Winter when the weather sucks and you really don't want to suffer the way I have.

So... I bought a 2013 Abarth!  If you're scratching your head, let me say you've probably already seen one of these.  There is a popular TV commercial showing Charlie Sheen driving like crazy inside his mansion while under house-arrest.  It's an Abarth he's driving.  In fact, the commercial is an ad for Abarth.

Abarth is pronounced "A-Bart"; the "h" is silent.  The name of the car is a tribute to Carlo Abarth who was a famous race-car designer a half-century ago.  He took small cars and magically made them go really fast.  His emblem is a scorpion on a yellow/red badge; he chose the scorpion because astrologically he's a Scorpio.  So am I.  Is that destiny or what?

The car is manufactured by Fiat, an Italian company which is bigger than you think.  They recently bought and now own Chrysler.  A few years ago, Fiat resurrected the Abarth brand and use it for the racing version of their normal car.  The Abarth is more powerful than a standard model and is often taken by enthusiasts to the racetrack.  The suspension is stiffer which helps the car corner better.  Reviewers say the exhaust sounds better than any other car except for a Ferrari.  It's a throaty growl, as I heard today.  The car has a manual transmission so you can really rev the engine to hear it roar.

I got the car in black with red accents (stripes, mirrors and seats).  It won't be ready for a month or two; the elves are still assembling it in the factory.

I love manual transmissions 'cause you are actively engaged in operating the vehicle and can play with the engine/transmission.  You can rev much higher than an automatic before shifting and, if you're so inclined, spin the wheels until they smoke.  It's heady to explore the outer limits of a vehicle's capabilities.

What do you think of my new car?  Isn't she pretty?!




23 comments:

  1. As much as I don't like driving, I do have an obsession with tiny cars. Your new car is totally sleek and sexy. I adore the colors. Glad you were able to indulge yourself in such a practical way. Hope they finish it soon and you can take it home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crackers, Ally, that car is totally bad-ass. I love the new Fiats and think yours is just gorgeous. Enjoy!!!

    And have a wonderful weekend!

    Gracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute and sassy little car! If you're ever in VA, swing by and take me for a spin.
    Glad you treated yourself as you were way overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHHHHHHH its gorgeous :)
    It's so right you are treating yourself to something nice.
    I'd never heard of the brand here.... will you be placing eyelashes on this baby?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW, it's so unique!!! I guess we won't be seeing you quite as often for a while. Be careful out there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's gorgeous!
    ::throws virtual good luck change in the back seat::

    How many boxes of new shoes can you fit in the trunk?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh... does it come with roof racks? Pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa, Ally! Or, I should say, "GO, Ally!" Congrats, and enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! It looks amazing. So glad you referenced the commercial cause the minute you described it I remembered the ad right away and I hardly watch ad's.
    I love stick shifts too. You are going to enjoy it.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's a beauty! Oooooooh, I can see the photos of the two of you now....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg, that is going to be one sweet car...and knowing you, it's going to have all the sporty "racing" details. Yay, you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I know nothing about cars and cannot drive (cannot tell my left from my right at all), but I can say, my oh my, she is a beauty...

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one beautiful car. I agree with you on stick shifts. I always felt like I had more control over the car and it required me to pay attention to what what going on in order to be able to react quickly. I also like smaller cars. I had a 74 Bug and drove it to death. I could burn tires in first gear!
    Go Ally go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's about time that YOU had a car. I have seen one of these on the lot at a local car dealership and wondered about them. And like you, I am a fan of standard transmissions--for those days I'm in a racy mood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kudos, that car is sexy as hell!! And you're right, manual transmissions are so much fun to drive. Mine makes me feel like driving is an actual skill or talent of mine, not just something that I do every day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. She’s not pretty. She’s magnificent! =) Anyway, you’re right about the manual transmissions. I also like it better than an automatic one, since I get more control over the car. If you are a careful gear manipulator, you will definitely have better traction on snowy and slippery roads. Congrats! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, so that's where the name comes from! I do love their clever commercials, and the car is truly stunning. Congrats on treating yourself to such a fabulous gift!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Driving that car around can definitely make you an eye-catcher on the road. It has a 16v turbocharged engine that can be calibrated to provide maximum horsepower and torque. So have you finally gotten your dream car? I can’t wait to see you driving this beauty on the road! How about some updates on the ride?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do think it was high time you bought a car for yourself, and not for anybody else. And I think you really did indulge yourself with your car purchase. The 2013 Abarth is probably one of the hottest cars today. Both its design and performance are just superb! I’m months late, but I want to say congratulations for owning one of the breakthrough vehicles in our present time. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're certainly right about that, Maria. The 2013 Abarth is a small but terrible car. I like the black body model the most, by the way. These are the current prices of the three models of the 2013 Abarth: The Pop ($15,500), Sport ($17,500) and Lounge ($19,500, my favorite amongst the three). May I ask, what model did you buy, Shybiker?

      Delete
  20. Woo! That is one sweet ride! Definitely a beauty. : ) Routine maintenance will help keep it in prime condition. It will also be good to have it insured, just to keep it and your pocket protected. Insurance can help you deal with unexpected risks and costs.

    - Barry Bates

    ReplyDelete