Sunday, April 22, 2018

Victoria Mermaid

Shopping with Sheila is the equivalent of attending a master class in fashion. She knows and can teach you so much. Sheila opines on the quality of clothing. She discusses its fabric, the reputation of its brand, and its aesthetic style. Lately she's personally interested in asymmetrical pieces, which is an advanced choice.

Sheila taught me that many items have hidden statements on the label saying when the piece was made (e.g., Fall 2013). She touches clothes on the rack to assess the quality of their material. She can recognize obscure brands and tell you how they run in size (something which varies widely among brands).

I bought a dress and skirt while in Victoria. Here is the dress. It's a style I've never worn before. Pretty but a little plain so I spiced it up with a big, colorful mermaid necklace. Some may say the jewelry is too large or overwhelming for the dress but their combination expresses my personality. I'm a plain gal who likes to present herself with some flair. Personal accents make clothing and life more interesting!










14 comments:

  1. This dress has a bit of a 1920s vibe to it. Knife pleats are back in style big time.

    The fun thing about the dress is the black points directly to your necklace. Kind of cool.

    Great choice!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes I noticed that arrow, too! The dress label says it was designed and made in Toronto. I'm guessing it's about 5-10 years old.

      Delete
  2. The dress is absolutely stunning on you. I love the pleating and like Suzanne I can see a 1920s vibe. The mermaid necklace is perfect with it, not too large or overpowering at all. Love the shoes, they're so cute! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I bought the shoes a year ago (at Torrid) with no idea how to wear them but good opportunities keep popping up!

      Delete
  3. This dress looks fabulous on you, Ally! I love the cut of it on your shape. You are so sweet with your compliments - thank you! It was so fun shopping with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great dress that looks good on you. I am not sure if the mermaid works with the dress... For sure the shoes work well.
    Sounds like a great day out shopping with Sheila.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concede the mermaid is incongruous but then again, so am I.

      Delete
  5. I love the look and the mermaid necklace is perfect, it gives it panache! I am zoning in on the shoes - are those Fluevogs? They are pretty damn spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dar! No, they are inexpensive Mary Janes I got at Torrid (a mall store for larger gals). They seem to go with many outfits.

      Delete
  6. Awww, I like your mermaid! She makes me think of your beautiful shoot with the mermaid tail! You look lovely in this dress. It is such an unusual dress! I like the contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool dress ! and OMG you had the "Sheila" experience, what a luxury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Sheila experience" is part of the Canadian travel package. :-)

      Delete