Saturday, April 21, 2018

Mermaid Ally


My closest friends know I have a totem, a spirit guide. An archetype that connects to me on a deep level. My totem is the mermaid.

A dear friend, Suzanne, just sent me the mermaid item shown above. It delights me. She also sent me a mermaid pin. Friends like Suzanne are precious gems: they see you for who you are and offer real support.

Tomorrow I'm going to wear a dress found shopping with Sheila in Victoria. To accent it, I'll wear a big, colorful mermaid necklace. The dress is pretty but plain; the necklace spices it up to the max. Their combination expresses me perfectly.

The first known mermaid stories appeared in Assyria around 1000 BC. Goddess Atargatis, mother of Queen Semiramis, loved a mortal man and accidentally killed him. Ashamed, Atargatis jumped into a lake and took the form of a fish -- but the waters could not conceal her divine beauty. Thereafter, she took the form of a mermaid, human above the waist and fish below.

Do you like mermaids?

14 comments:

  1. This is adorable! Love love love—and mermaids. They are just beautiful:) can’t wait to see more of mermaid Ally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! I cannot wait to see the dress you scored!

    Have you see the animated movie Ponyo? It is excellent. I highly recommend it and it has a wonderful story about mermaids.

    That tea towel was made for you.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation: no, I haven't seen the movie.

      Delete
  3. That is the sweetest towel! Its nice have good friends who know us like no one else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think mermaid legends are fascinating. I've been to a little church in Cornwall where there's a mermaid carved into one of the pews Love the item Suzanne sent you - is it a scarf? - and I can't wait to see the dress with the mermaid necklace! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know how to describe it until someone called it a tea towel and that seems right. You can't tell from the photo but the mermaid's hair is woven into the fabric with the same yarn used for the tassels.

      Delete
  5. Aw, that is so sweet of Suzanne. I love your mermaid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a seriously cute mermaid who travels around with me in my car ... Thanks again Ally!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Way down...below the ocean...that's where I want to be..."
    THe concept of a mermaid is intriguing to many.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're not the first transwoman I know who loves mermaids.
    Something about the transformation and dual life perhaps?...and the glamour!! ;-D
    xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's popular among us, especially trans kids.

      Delete
  9. I think my spirit guide is a dragonfly which symbolizes freedom. Mermaids are mystical and sing the siren song of the sea, I swear I can hear them on stormy nights out in the bay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, isn't that cute! I love it! What a beautiful present from Suzanne! I quite like mermaids!x

    ReplyDelete