Monday, January 12, 2015

"After The Wedding" (2006)

I'm going to tell you some surprising truths.

Different art-media have different focuses.  Intellectual exploration works well in literature.  There's the time and space to do that there.  Films don't have that luxury and, instead, work best with emotions.  They have the capability to draw us in and make us empathize with characters.  Which is why, in my opinion, female filmmakers are the best artists in that medium.

My favorite American filmmaker is Nicole Holofcener.  Her films are sensitive examinations of human relationships.

One of the best international filmmakers is Susanne Bier.  Her films depict emotions with a degree of understanding and depth that surpasses most Hollywood movies. Despite working in Denmark, she has won an American Oscar and been nominated for a second.

I just saw one of Susanne's films ("After The Wedding") and was blown away.  At the beginning, you think the film will be about the poor, but it isn't.  Then you believe it's going to be about the extreme width of wealth in the world, but it isn't.  The film ends up being an intense family drama with great surprise and penetrating insight.  You can't predict what's going to happen one moment to the next and are completely engrossed in the plot and characters. I'll admit to crying at times and being utterly shocked during others.

I can't say any more about it without ruining the surprise, but trust me when I say this is one of the best films you'll ever see.  It was nominated for an Oscar in 2006 as Best Foreign Film of the Year.  (Five years later, Susanne won the Oscar in that category for "In A Better World.")

The movie stars internationally-recognized actor Mads Mikkelsen.  Despite his unattractive looks (Hollywood cast him as a villain in a James Bond movie), Mad has sizeable talent. I first saw him in Danish movies, then on American television where he currently stars as the lead character in "Hannibal."

Check out "After The Wedding."  You'll be deeply moved.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recommendation - I will look for this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the line that you can't can't predict what will happen next. That happens too much at movies lately and I need something good that truly grabs me! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great film. I will definitely watch! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting observation on the difference between film and literature. Upon reflection, it is probably why I prefer literature, since the roller coaster that has been my life provides me with ample emotional exploration, to the point where I have to temper it. My children accuse me of only seeing movies that have "dancing bunnies" in them, which is not QUITE true, and they haven't figure out that I did that mainly because I wanted to see movies with THEM. Thank you for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this film! And Mr. Mads is incredible (personally I think he is super HOT). If you want to watch another brilliant movie with him try "The Hunt". It is a rather sad and disturbing tale about what happens when a rumour can ruin a person's life. I think it is on Netflix.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw "The Hunt" a few months ago. I'll see anything with Mads in it.

      Delete
  6. Adding this to my watch list now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe this is why I prefer light-hearted movies, but don't mind serious books? Sometimes dramatic movies are just too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta find this movie ... it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just saw this movie a month ago! It was one of the best. Amazing, to say the least. So complex...and it really proves that you shouldn't judge anyone by the surface.

    I also saw The Remembrance. You will probably cry. It was THE BEST movie I have ever seen. After The Wedding comes in at number two :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete