Friday, April 11, 2014

1964 World's Fair


Exactly fifty years ago, New York hosted a World's Fair.  Situated in Queens, the Fair ran for two years and showcased cultures and technology from around the world.  Thousands came to see the many exhibitions.

I was six at the time and have an odd, almost-embarrassing memory to tell you.  In addition to visiting the Fair with my family several times, I performed in it.  Really!  In one of two structures built for the Fair which is still standing (New York State Pavilion), I played accordion in a group of accordion-players from the music school where I studied.  We performed for a large crowd of visitors.  I remember dragging my large accordion-case (almost as big as me) to and from the concert.  Weirdly, we played songs written by The Beatles which, on the accordion, sounded truly bizarre.  But they were popular songs at the time.

The second surviving structure is the Unisphere (pictured above).  It has been used since then in several movies, like "Men In Black" and "Iron Man 2".

You can see the Pavilion where I played in the picture below.  It's gutted now and they're contemplating whether to demolish it (cost - $14 Million) or renovate it (cost - $50 Million).  Attached to the Pavilion are three columns which have what looked like spacecraft on top.  They were observation decks you could travel up to look around.

World's Fairs were popular in the last century.  They gave people in an analog world the opportunity to see new sights, new technology and foreign cultures.  I haven't heard of any since then, which is sad.  Have you ever been to one?


17 comments:

  1. That isn't embarrassing at all, that's so cool! To answer your question about not hearing of any since then: Several were held in Europe and Asia in the last decade or two, with the most recent being in 2012 in South Korea. The last one in the US was in the 80s in New Orleans (the 1992 one in Chicago was cancelled). (I'm not that smart; I looked all of that up on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world's_fairs)

    I think the Internet kind of killed the appeal and popularity of World's Fairs. When you think about it, with the Internet, we can now share all these ideas across oceans and continental boundaries from the comfort of our own homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the World's Fair when I was little. I THINK it was 1984 in Tennessee and I was 8. I have so many fun memories of that day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not embarrassing! I think it's really neat - I didn't even know you played accordion!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! Can you still play? I adore the episode of MadMen when Joan picks up the accordion and plays and sings.

    No world fairs for me. Too bad. They sound kind of cool.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read "Devil in the White City" a little while ago and it was AMAZING. It was about the Chicago World's Fair and when we went to Chicago recently, I had to go to Jackson Park to see where the fair took place. It blew my mind!

    How awesome was it that you got to perform?! I am sure it was probably terrifying for a 6 year old, but still! I am going to have to add this as one of the places to check out when I go to New York. It would be right up Kyle's ally too (history major that he is).

    ReplyDelete
  6. never been to a world's fair. how wonderful that you can actually say you performed at one! Beatles on accordion? i'd love to hear that, lol!!

    [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete
  7. We went to the one in New Orleans. I can remember crossing the Mississippi in a gondola and eating my first waffle cone. I think it is too cool that you played the accordion at the world fair when you were only six.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to go to world fair. I only know them from the movies and they look simply amazing! I think the fact that you played the accordion is so cool! What a fantastic memory and it's a part of history!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother and grandfather went to the World's Fair in 1970 that was held in Japan! They have the commemorative coins from it, still.

    I have also heard of the Greene brothers, architects who built amazing houses in Pasadena, CA. They were inspired by Japanese architecture they saw at a World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, that is cool!!! You should be proud, not embarrassed. I've never been to a world fair although I was a part in the musical.'meet me in st Louis' once and that had a world fair at the end I think!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's pretty awesome! What a unique and rare talent. Can you still play?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't you can play (or could but it's not that hard to bring back). How was that? and why did you choose accordion?

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandma lived in Queens and so I'd often pass by the Unisphere when I visited her. That's so neat that you performed in the fair!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is seriously cool!! It's a shame that the World's Fair didn't continue as such as the decades rolled on. Yes, there's Expo, but some how it just didn't have the same panache and appeal, in name, as the World's Fair. At least to me - a relative youngin' who has never been either.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been to a world's fair...I think it's time for another one.

    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG how very cool, are you serious ?
    First of all I did not know this was part of the 1964 Worlds Fair, I love Worlds Fair, my personal favourite is the Panama Pacific Exposition held in San Francisco in 1915. I dream of a time machine being built just so I could visit… they had the first incubators there and also a Ford auto assembly line.. the first transatlantic phone call by Edison himself.

    ReplyDelete