Saturday, April 9, 2011

NYC Nights



I had a wonderful time in New York City tonight.  I had dinner with three young women and we saw a fabulous foreign film.  Everything about the evening was perfect.

The women, in their mid-20's, are delightful.  They have interesting lives, interesting jobs and vast travel-experience.  They are all immigrants from Russia and have been here for about a decade.  Their English is better than mine.

We had an awesome meal at a vegan restaurant on the Upper East Side (Candle Cafe).  I ordered grilled tempeh with quinoa (which I've always wanted to try).  The tempeh had a tasty chipotle sauce.

Afterward, we saw a powerful drama from Norway called "Troubled Water".  It far exceeded my expectations.  The movie -- which was free! -- is part of a film-series at the Czech Center, located in the Czech Consulate General.

In case you doubt New York has wildlife, I had a pidgeon walk up to me in Penn Station -- *inside* the Station.  There's a picture of him below.  Also, while taking the subway, I saw a rat the size of a kitten.  Yow!

I socialize with groups of men and groups of women.  I find differences in behavior between the groups to be fascinating.  One thing I often observe is that women, when eating together, offer each other tastes of their meals and seem to enjoy sharing their food.  I have never seen men do that.  Why do you think that is?

I hope you had a nice evening.  Here are some snapshots I grabbed.






11 comments:

  1. That is an interesting observation about the dining habits of males and females. I know my partner thinks nothing of reaching over and sampling items on my plate whether he has my permission or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fabulous evening! I wonder if it's more about our social skills ... maybe there are other areas where we share more as well. I'm curious about this now.

    Hope your weekend is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun evening! Oh, New York... a dream! I wish we had bead shops like that near here!! And the pigeon is cute!
    Your crowd wants more pics with YOU in them!! Have a lovely weekend dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear friend this is awesome! I miss New York and its nightlife so badly...at the minute I'm in Newcastle (UK)...do you know what I mean?! : ) : ))) big hugs honey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shy, I think women are more nuturers and maybe that's why we tend to want to share our food. Men are the hunters and as Terri pointed out, don't necessarily share their food, but rather take it off of their partner's plate! LOL That's my theory anyway! So glad you had fun in NY! Hugs!!~ Serene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a Fabulous night! Hopefully we will meet someday and hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun night out. And some great photos too.

    Not sure about other women but I like sharing my food to see what others think and it's good if you ever go back again so you have an idea what else you could have. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos- I always share my food with friends too! That vegan restaurant sounds yummy- as a veggie I will keep it in mind for the next time I'm in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted to try a real vegan meal, it's goof so hear you had a good time !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ian and I love the Candle Cafe. Ian is vegan and I'm ovo-lacto veggetarian. So, when we visit NYC, we are in heaven with all of our veggie choices. Not that we don't have fab choices in the Bay Area. We do. But NYC has some really fantastic yummies.

    Glad you had fun.

    xoxo,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  11. And they have soy ice cream, too!

    ReplyDelete