Thursday, November 11, 2010

What Appeals To You?

A blog can be anything.  That freedom creates opportunities.

I've been thinking about what I want my blog to be... and experience has helped refine my thoughts.  Your comments have often told me what works and what doesn't, what appeals to you (e.g., intelligent fashion) and what doesn't (e.g., foolish outfits; anything about the Supreme Court).

I don't want my blog to be egocentric.  I don't want solipsism to rule.  It's easy to be self-centered online, but that isn't how I am in person and not how I want my blog to be.

I'd like my posts to appeal to you.  To give you something, provide content with value.

So, what would you like to see?  What do you want to talk about?

There's lots on the table.  With little prompting, I'm eager to start conversation about social issues, to explore ideas of gender, to chat about cooking and to dissect films -- but before doing any of that, I want to know what you want.  If it's fashion you prefer, do you like posts about current trends?  To look at pictures of pretty models?  Or to watch me express my style as a tyro?

Different people have different preferences and I don't assume all of you are alike in your interests.  So feel free to mention your particular preference and I'll try to serve your needs.

And, yes, that picture above is me!

14 comments:

  1. I like to learn and see your personal style ! You are Great and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food! Favorite meals, favorite restaurants. nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like all the different things you post about. For me, blogs ARE a personal expression - you should always write for yourself, as if no one is reading, because otherwise, why bother? I've seen blogs go too "reader-focussed" and you lose sight of the personality of the blogger.

    Just my two cents. :) Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's a tyro?

    I agree 100% with Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how it's going... Adore the outfit posts, with other stuff thrown in occasionally. I HATE the blog posts on many blogs that show models. I know what clothes look like on models. I want to see how they look on a normal person.

    So keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should blog about what you want to. It's your space for personal expression after all. I think it all becomes a little more negative when bloggers start doing things strictly for others. I like it more when they're personal, and an expression of the person, not a performance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd definitely be interested in reading about social issues, cooking and films ! ;-D I think it's quite unfortunate that most blog these days rely too heavily on pictures and shy away from substantial text. Because I guess, those are they kinds of blogs that often draw in the most readers. But I love reading the text ! That's probably why there are very few fashion blogs that I follow and enjoy reading regularly because I feel like I'm not getting anything from them if it's just pictures. I want to learn something, I want to hear you're opinion, your analysis on why you like something !

    In any case, it's good that you're asking your readers for their input ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Mookxi, for the feedback.

    I'm a rounded person with many interests and often have ideas I'd like to share here about non-fashion stuff; I just feared boring people. If people are open to such discussion, I'm eager to provide it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your content.
    Its diverse and you can see the person behind the writing which is the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to have to agree with Sheila.

    Readers initially come and stick around because of what you were doing before you asked for feedback on what those very same readers wanted.

    I say go with your gut and take in to account some of the feedback you receive but tread lightly - don't reinvent the wheel.

    Simply put, I just like looking at your outfits :) I have a little bit of a shoe "thing" so my 2cents would be some extra highlighting on your footwear.

    Maybe keep a log of some shopping tips/locations you've had good luck in for hard to fit sizes. I'm certain that would be a help to someone.

    BTW - DSW usually has some styles up to size 13. They have a rewards program and a pretty good clearance rack. Do check 'em out if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

    Thanks for sharing yourself with the world. Whether you know it directly or or not, you are an inspiration~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the advice, Fuzzy. I like your ideas and will adopt them.

    And thank you very much for the support. That means the world to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with most of the other posts, that I like the diversity you offer. I think a good blog usually focuses on one type of thing most but has normal life stuff thrown in as well and sometimes even things that are totally off-topic. They're more personal and inviting that way. And, of course, I always enjoy reading more about your views on gender! :)

    ReplyDelete