Friday, November 19, 2010

"Million Dollar Quartet"

I'm so excited!  On Sunday, I'm going to see a musical I've had tickets for since August: "Million Dollar Quartet."  Have you heard of it?

The show is based on a true event: a jam-session of four musical legends before they became famous.  One day in December 1956, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis met at Sun Record studio in Memphis.  Sam Phillips, the brains behind that powerhouse, brought them together and invited them to play together.  The result was magic.

We have second-row seats (I put a high value on good seats) and the reviews of the show have been raves.  The show received three Tony nominations, including for Best Musical.

Last year I went to Memphis on a BBQ tour and visited the studio where this happened.  It was amazing.  The place still has the same acoustic tiles, flooring and ceiling as when those legends sang there.  There is a palpable sense of history and cool pervading the space.  I wrote about that trip a while back on my old blog.

Do you like live theater?  What good plays or musicals have you seen?

8 comments:

  1. Love theater, esp. musical. I've seen Cats, Stomp (which is more performance art than theater), Hairspray... those were professional shows. Other than that, a lot of community theater.

    Out of this season's offerings, kiddo wants me to take her to Wicked and I want to see Drumline.

    All of us girls, and my daughter, have all been involved in theater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy going to the theater and musicals. I've seen Starlight Express, Buddy Holly, Jospeh, Dance of the Vampires, The Phantom of the Opera and a few germany productions. It was alaways amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good seats are a must! I love theatre. I was lucky enough to see Behanding in Spokane and God of Carnage when I was in New York earlier this year - a fabulous introduction to an extraordinary city. A couple of months ago I saw Waiting for Godot with Ian McKellan at the Sydney Opera House, and it was superb.I love theatre - nothing matches it for wonder and escape. I hope you will be posting a review after you've seen Million Dollar Quartet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fabulous. The only theater I've ever experienced is a dinner theater. And a college play. I enjoyed them, I just haven't done a play yet. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds amazing! I've never heard of this show, but I would love to see it. I lovelove going to the theater as well! I go to a lot of community theater, most recently A Streetcar Named Desire. I also try to make it to a couple of the bigger productions that tour through.

    I too would like a review of this one after you see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, TM, you have to see Broadway! There's nothing like it. And you're close enough for a visit, even if you have to stay in a hotel overnight.

    Live performance by the BEST in the world is exhilarating to watch. You feel transformed by their mastery of the craft. I've seen dozens of shows and I remember each one vividly. They are very special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like going to the theatre but musicals are not my favorite. not even movies - I hated Evita.
    However I do enjoy The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins and such -

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love live theater, probably my favorite was when I got to attend a dress rehearsal of "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" put on by a local troupe back home. It was a very small, intimate theater, so I was right up there... Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete