Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"Babies"

I just saw this movie on DVD (from NetFlix) and was pleasantly surprised: it's quite charming.

The movie follows four babies from around the world on their journey from birth to first steps.  The children are from radically-different places.  Ponijao lives in Africa (Namibia); Bayar lives in Asia (Mongolia); Mari lives in Japan; and Hattie lives in San Francisco.  Three of the babies are girls but their gender is hard to tell at that age.

Despite the absence of a plot, you're easily mesmerized by the babies' antics and development.

I was especially intrigued by the vast cultural differences of the babies' environments.  Hattie lives in typical American affluence while Ponijao chews dirt in the African desert.  Yet, in some ways, life in primitive societies has obvious advantages.

If you're in the right mood, this film can be fun to watch.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh ! I bet my Daughter Bella and my baby son Yoshi would Love this !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure they would. Two women I know who recently had babies saw the film and rave about it.

    ReplyDelete