Saturday, February 19, 2022

Golda Schultz

Last night I took Robin to an orchestral concert at the New York Philharmonic as a Valentine's Day gift. The peerless orchestra, conducted by Santtu-Matias Rouvali, performed three different pieces. The centerpiece was Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony and, of course, that was an exciting event. But what really surprised me was an accompanying vocal performance of songs written by Richard Strauss. The songs, based on poems, were sung in German by opera soprano Golda Schultz.

I've never heard a more beautiful, talented voice. Golda Schultz has the sound of an angel and the strength of a Valkyrie. She was born in South Africa, lived in Germany and recently performed with the Metropolitan Opera here. She studied at the Juilliard School in New York.

We had third-row center seats and were about 15 feet away from her. Wow! You haven't experienced life until you've sat that close to a master-musician deploying unmatchable vocal skills. Golda did things I wasn't aware are humanly possible and she did them with delightful bubbly personality. It was a seraphic performance I'll never forget.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful evening Ally. I'm sure experiencing something so magical will still with you for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems likes a perfect evening!

    Love: Mariann Yip
    https://www.mariannyc.com/30thbirthdaycelebration/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you. She's my favourite soprano, bare none.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an amazing event. Few things truly inspire me to go to "crowded" events (even pre pandemic) but I hope to go plays, ballets, and classical music events again. It's still a dream to go see the Nutcracker in person for Christmas. I usually chicken out between the weather and cost and scheduling conflicts. Maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I went to YouTube to listen to her as you were so enthusiastic about her. I agree with you. Her voice gives you goose pimples in the most pleasant way.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful! I've not heard of her but I will go and try and listen to her. Strauss's songs are written very well for the voice and to hear a real virtuouso sing them must have been a truly memorable experience! So glad you enjoyed it!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's marvelous. She has an album coming out in April.

      Delete