Saturday, February 5, 2022

Finding Color

People inexperienced in photography make a common mistake of believing results are determined by the quality of a camera. That's not true. Good photographs come not from fancy cameras but from skilled minds behind them.

On a bitterly cold day last December I went outdoors with my 1957 Kodak Brownie Starmite II. The camera is a mass-produced piece of crap with a cheap plastic lens. It was sold the year I was born for $10 to ordinary folk who used it for family snapshots. 

Before going out I thought carefully about what I could do. I had color film (127-roll) which I'd never used before in this camera. Recognizing the strength (color saturation) and weakness (unsharp focus) of my equipment I decided to emphasis the former and put all my eggs in that basket.

I looked for and found a sleepy South Shore town that was empty. It was late afternoon and dreariness had chased shoppers home. One thing stood out, however, in the dark Winter -- bright, colored neon lights in deserted stores. Unseen by anyone else they called to me like an artistic beacon. I played with them and created the images below.

What do you think?















17 comments:

  1. I LOVE these pictures, Ally. They're almost like black velvet painting, and I mean that in the BEST possible way. I'm so glad you said that about pictures - anyone can pick up a paintbrush, etc. but it's the eye of the artist that makes it art. Kudos for looking for the art in your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool inspirations!
    Have a great week,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neon lights are difficult to photograph, your pictures look great. I agree with you that people's assumption is that expensive camera equipment makes the person a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you picked an excellent subject matter to focus on. I love how clean but dreamy they all are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They have SUCH clarity!!! You made excellent use of your skills and resources!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ally, we simply must get you a photography show at a gallery! I would love to have one of these as a print!!

    ReplyDelete