Sunday, December 2, 2018

Return of the Carnegie Deli



The best part of my busy day in the city yesterday was traveling back in time -- to 1958.

Celebrating the start of Season 2 of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" (Amazon Prime), they brought back the famed, defunct Carnegie Deli as a one-week pop-up store on the Lower East Side. The store is decorated in Fifties style with vintage automobiles parked outside. Prices are old, too -- a Maisel sandwich (pastrami, salami, coleslaw, and special sauce on rye bread) costs 99-cents. The only drink they sell is Dr. Brown’s Cel-Ray soda, a New York kosher brand founded in the 1800's.

If you get into the city this week, visit the past at this fun store. If you can't get there, watch the TV show. It's very funny, quite engaging and visually beautiful to look at.






























8 comments:

  1. We went out to dinner last night at an Irish bar and along with the mandatory Guinness I had the Irish potato soup and a pastrami on rye. The sandwich was OK but paled in comparison to the amazing fare at the Carnegie Deli or other NY Kosher delis.
    When I am on LI near Roosevelt Field I make it a point to hit Ben's Kosher Deli. When I have a trial in Nassau Ben's becomes my lunch oasis. A pastrami or corn beef sandwich, a knish (how many of your readers know a good NY knish) and the occasional bowl of matzo ball soup. Makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you're talking about and agree. There's a terrific new pastrami place that just opened near me called Irving's World Famous Pastrami. Yumm!

      Delete
  2. I really want to see this series. I'm sad it's not on Netflix.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I wouldn't pay for Amazon 'cause it has too few good shows but get it for free through a friend. Maybe you can find a way to do that.

      Delete
  3. Oh how cool! I have heard such good things about this show- I need to check it out!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have amazon prime video and must see this show! What a fun place to visit!

    Fashion and Cookies - fashion and beauty blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I binged season 2. Such a fantastic show. Wish I could make it to that diner pop up. Yum!

    ReplyDelete