Tuesday, December 11, 2018

A Real Unicorn

Looking back, I'm starting to realize how odd I am. I mean, I don't plan my blog subjects; they just come to me and I assume they may interest others. But that's a big assumption. I just reviewed some past posts and notice how weird many of them are.

Okay... so I'm weird. That's not really news except to people who meet me in real life. Many believe that my quiet, conventional facade is the real me. It ain't. I learned to put on that mask years ago to fit into society and avoid detection as a gender outlaw. Underneath the facade is a bubbling cauldron of weirdness whose intense emotional heat can scorch metal.

I promise to get back to posting pictures of cute outfits but, before I do, let me offer you a true fact which I find fascinating. Maybe you will, too.

Our natural world is full of wonders, many unknown. Beneath the sea are creatures so strange we don't even know they exist. One creature we have detected is a fascinating ocean unicorn. Let me explain...

narwhal is a whale about three times the size of a human with -- wait for it... -- a unicorn horn! The horn is actually a canine tooth that protrudes forward from the whale's head. The horn twists in a spiral, just like unicorn horns. The horn has nerve endings which enable it to transmit information to the whale's brain about what it senses. Male narwhals rub their horns together to exchange information about seawater they've visited.


Narwhals are found in arctic waters near Canada and Greenland. They can live to be 50 years old. When they reach 35, they often buy red sports cars and date young female whales. (Some phenomena cross species lines.)

Narwhals communicate with each other by making clicking noises and whistles. Lately, they are all raving about how much they like "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel." There's no cable underwater but there is Internet streaming.

Wouldn't it be cool to see one of these creatures?! Their weirdness makes me feel less odd.


17 comments:

  1. A very small piece of art I one from a local artist is a narwhal. So weird and cool---love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Narwhals are awesome! Unicorn of the Sea! And you might just get something out of my post today - I talk about being unique and that it's OK. I love your uniqueness my friend, one of the many reasons I like you. Stay weird. It's way more fun. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Viva la difference" is a common French phrase. We should all learn to cherish the things that make us different. Sameness = boredom.
    I know that I exist on several different levels and that what I show of my inner thoughts depends of the circumstances in which I find myself. I presume that is the same for everyone to one degree or another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you get a chance to watch Before The Flood on Netflix with Leonardo DiCaprio you get a chance to see these in real life in the arctic. It is incredible.

    Being weird makes a person interesting which is part of the reason I like you! Us weirdos have to stick together ; P

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son would love these little tid bits about the narwhal. He's fascinated by all sorts of animals and records little bits of information about them in various notebooks that are scattered all over our home.
    I think all of us are weird my friend. Some own it and share it - those are my kind of people. Also there are introverts, which is me...but I'm awkward and weird and if you got to know me, you'd know I'm weird :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Narwhals are seriously weird animals, right up there with the platypus! No wonder sailors thought they'd seen a monster!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit that I hadn't heard of narwhals, but what amazing and yes, weird!, animals they are. The animal kingdom really has the most extraordinary creatures. And I agree with Suzanne that being weird makes a person interesting. Why be normal when you can be weird? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you're so open about how "weird" you are- for the record, I think you're amazing and brave, and I love that you've created this space to be so honest!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ashley! After a lifetime of feeling I had to hide who I really am, being open is freeing and sweet.

      Delete
  9. They are pretty cool! I had heard of them as a Cornish Blogger friend who takes the most beautiful photos has often mentioned them! They are incredible!
    I am weird too. One staff member said, "You are so unique to me" like it was an apology- I'm much happier being slightly odd ball than a boring clone! That's probably why I like you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, there! You maybe weird but I do so like your blog! A longtime fan of yours so I must be weird as well. The facade we present to the world is for our protection. Your honesty in revealing your real self is a gift to all who read your blog. Live long and prosper! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Happy to meet you, CJ. Your words are true and inspiring. Happy holidays.

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for the wonderful card, Ally! I love that picture and it's proudly displayed at my desk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are all weird in some way - I know I am !
    I'd never heard of these, my fave is how they buy red sports cars ;)

    ReplyDelete