Thursday, December 6, 2018

My First Motorcycle


I started riding motorcycles 20 years ago. My first bike was a beautiful cruiser with a cherry red gas-tank (1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750). I loved that bike. It was good-looking and the perfect introduction to an activity that became my passion.

I learned to ride on the Vulcan and took it on my first long trip. With a friend, we rode 4,000 miles in eight days from New York to North Dakota. Afterward I realized how much I like to tour long-distance and found a bike more suited to that duty (Yamaha Venture Royale).

When I replaced the Vulcan, I gave it away to a family friend for free. As fate would have it, the bike just returned to my life. My friend's brother, who now has the bike, is giving it back to me. The Vulcan isn't working but it is not my plan to fix it. Instead I will display it as an object of veneration in my future work-space. (I plan to buy a building in a year or two.)

Do you get sentimental about stuff from the past?

12 comments:

  1. I do get sentimental. How cool that you're bike came back to you after all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand completely. My first car was a 1968 Mustang. Bought it used with about 15K miles and sold it after adding 100K miles to the odometer. I would often joke that I should have kept it. My wife feels the same about her old Lemans with the 350cc engine. There is something magical about a love affair with a piece of steel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Congratulations on your plans to buy a building for your future work space! That is awesome! It sounds like it will be a wild space.

    I think it is very cool that the bike is coming back to you after all these years.

    If I had the cash to buy another cherry red convertible 1968 Karmann Ghia I'd do it in an instant. I loved that car and it holds so many precious memories of my youth.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very cool that you're buying a building! Wow! This beauty will have a place of honour, I'm sure - it's like fate that it came back to you, Ally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome you're getting the Vulcan back! I think it's so cool when stuff comes full circle!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, how wonderful that your first bike is coming back to you. And buying a building sounds very exciting! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that the bike is circling back to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome Ally, I love seeing your old pictures! So cool you are getting it back too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loook at you!!!!!!!!!!! You look so young! I am so glad your bike is coming back to you- shows your generosity is being rewarded. OOOH, what sort of building!??!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea. It is always good to surround yourself with things that have meaning to you. I am like this with jewelry. Particularly when it was a gift from my family.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a gorgeous bike! I don't keep many mementos, but I have a rubbermaid full of snail mail and cards from friends

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow how fabulous !
    Well, in my case YES, ALL the time, I am always sentimental when it comes to things from the past. I tend to think it was always better.

    ReplyDelete