Sunday, February 4, 2018

Victoria, BC

One thing I do before traveling is research my destination. The more I know about the place, the better time I have because I "see" more during my stay.

Inspired with desire to visit a good friend -- extraordinary blogger Sheila -- I plan to go to a place in Canada called Victoria. It's on an island west and separate from Vancouver. Sheila says you can't drive there: you have to take either a slow ferry or a fast seaplane. (I'm doing the latter.)

Researching Victoria is teaching me fascinating facts, like how it's the most densely-populated city in Canada despite have a small population. And it's geographical location -- Victoria is actually SOUTH of the Northwest corner of the U.S. That's because the island on which it sits (at the island's southernmost point) extends below the U.S./Canadian border out in the ocean. I recognize an American city in Washington state (Bellingham) and Victoria is actually below it. Plus, Victoria is only 60 miles from Seattle. That reminds me of how Toronto (another big Canadian city) is less than an hour's drive from Buffalo. Most of the populated areas in Canada are right over the U.S. border because it's warmer there than further north.

Have you ever been to the west coast of Canada?

Sheila has one of the best fashion blogs around. She creates amazingly original outfits and posts with enviable regularity. Her clothes and shoes are striking and she combines them with the skill of a pro. The education I've gotten from her during the past decade is invaluable; I really ought to pay her tuition.  :-)

10 comments:

  1. I love researching my travel destinations and especially looking at maps. How exciting that you'll be getting to meet the wonderful Sheila! I think I might be a little bit envious ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOO HOO!! I can't wait to see you again, Ally! I'm glad you're learning a little about my corner of the world - I do live in a geographically challenging region! Thank you so much for the link and your sweet words! We are going to PAR-TAY when you are here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! And thanks for giving me an excuse to see the world. :-)

      Delete
  3. I think I mentioned to you before out of all the places I've lived Victoria is one of my all time favourites. And I've lived in Italy, France and England so that says quite a bit. ; P

    I know Sheila doesn't like Oak Bay, she says it's too uppity...but that was were I lived, right across from the Oak Bay Marina. It is a gorgeous area and not too far from the University of Victoria where Robert completed his common law degree. Not sure if I mentioned but there are two types of law in Canada, common law and civil law depending on which province you want to practice in. Robert has both but we had to move to Victoria for him to get his second one.

    Sheila lives in the downtown. Closer to the thrift shops! Ha!

    I do hope you go out of the centre and explore a bit. There are so many wonderful walks along the ocean front.

    I hope you fall in love with it just as I have.

    Also if you look at a map of North America you can see that Toronto is even more south that Victoria. We are further south than most of the northern states and even many of the central states in the US. People don't realize just how far down Canada dips.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to write where...where I lived.

      Delete
    2. I remember you saying that about Victoria. Thanks for the great information. I did know about Toronto's relative latitude: it's funny how geography doesn't align with common perceptions of our two countries.

      Delete
  4. Ah Bd, Ah Vancouver, Ah Victoria! Such memories.
    Cris did his PhD in Vancouver and I have rellies (relatives) on Vancouver Island, so we visited often...slow ferry...poor students :-)
    We lived in an apartment for the one and only time in our lives, and we are currently buying another for our retirement which has me nostalgic for those days!
    Have a blast with Sheila. The plane ride should be magical (I love planes, I grew up flying in them in PNG )
    xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are able to visit so many wonderful people in so many awesome sounding places! I can't wait to travel more. We are going to Arizona in May to visit Jeremy's brother, and Portland again at Christmas. Next year we are only doing one trip out of state, so I would like to do New York. Maybe even a long weekend this year if Jeremy can swing an extra day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel is great! Arizona is fun because it's so radically different. People there have rocks for lawns instead of grass!

      Delete
  6. Travel is awesome especially when you have wonderful people to visit. All our overseas trips have been to see friends or family except for Mauritius where I won a trip at work. I love to see the world through your eyes special one!!!!

    ReplyDelete