Monday, February 12, 2018

Salmon Sisters

It's becoming more and more important to understand our food and its sources. For example most seafood is fraudulently mislabelled as being something other than it really is. Most fish in supermarkets travelled through Chinese factories where it was frozen and re-frozen several times, with unknown additives put into it. Scary stuff.

Which is why it's beneficial to your health and better for the world to eat good seafood. Wild, not farmed, and from trusted sources who care about sustainability.

Last year I discovered a small company started by two sisters who commercially fish in Alaska and sell directly to consumers (Salmon Sisters). Their fish is fresher and better than what's sitting in the supermarket. Plus they sell cute clothing celebrating nature's bounty. (I gave some of their shirts to friends as holiday gifts) I've had good success with their products and encourage you to give them a try. They ship everywhere.

12 comments:

  1. I will have to look this up. I grew up in the south pacific and fresh fish was at the our fingertips whenever we wanted. Im not a big fan of fresh water fish, but Im learning. Cute clothes is always a win too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for info, I will look them up and order. Years ago my parents ran a small family owned butcher shop. I can remember having to cook meat quickly before it spoiled. Ever wonder why now a chicken or pound of ground beef can stay in your fridge for many days with no sign of deterioration? We really need to be aware of how our food is being processed. Here on the Jersey Shore I can find fresh caught fish and eggs right off the farm. A bit more money but worth it IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love supporting a good female business! I will definitely be checking these gals out! We enjoy good salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just spent some time in Florida and loved the access to fresh fish. Where you are on LI should not be an issue. We do well with fresh fish on the Jersey shore but I know the fish we get in Westchester county may be a bit aged.
    It is important to know the source since the basa and tilapia that comes from Asia is something that I stay away from at all costs.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve never heard of these sisters before but salmon is the only kind of fish I eat. Will have to look them up and thanks so much for sharing this hear!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We watch for the "Oceanwise" logo here - being on the west coast, it's important to buy sustainable seafood. http://seafood.ocean.org/ - most restaurants and grocery stores here use it. Good for you, to pay attention to this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sisters got it goin' on! I love their mission!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of this pair, but I will be checking them out. I love seafood, but agree that too much of it is sourced from overseas and goes through a scary process before it hits the dinner table. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also follow food trends closely and am somewhat alarmed with some of the practices. I always buy wild fish and I recently found a service that delivers products from small specialty shops and delivers within an hour . They represent a great bakery a great butcher, and excellent produce so it’s a wonderful service.
    But I’m fine glad to know about this company as well. I will check them out and I applaud them and you for putting this out there.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds great! Funnily enough, I just posted about fish! Someone left me a comment that has got me thinking though- with all the plastic pollution- how much plastic is making up our fish??

    ReplyDelete