Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Chef Jacques Pepin

It saddens me that we give attention to people when they die but not before then. We should celebrate people while they are still alive. Let me tell you about one cool cat I admire.

I first saw Jacques Pepin on television forty years ago and found him charming. Despite being THE BEST IN THE WORLD at what he does (cook food), he was notably humble and gracious. Now approaching 80 years old, he still is. In a field of rabid ego-maniacs and publicity-seekers, Jacques is a welcome breath of humility.

Jacques was just profiled in an online magazine and asked about his life and growing old. He said something wise: "[I]n our world, you know, of living people, you get old. I’m old now, but yet, I’m not a star in Hollywood, and so I don’t have to keep my figure and my face. I can keep cooking if I get older and fat, or whatever! So yes, for us it is good.”

The profile is here.

10 comments:

  1. Love this so much <3 the French—they are such beautiful people and I love that he’s so comfortable in his skin & old(er) age!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to look into him a bit more, we appreciate good food and good cooks as you know. I feel like this is a person we need to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. Check out his old shows: you'll enjoy them. And him.

      Delete
  3. I know of him (anyone who has studied cooking knows of him) however I've only seen him a couple of times on TV. As a kid I used to watch the Galloping Gourmet. Not sure if that was a Canadian thing or not.

    I much prefer his accent ; P

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Galloping Gourmet was the first chef I heard of, but he was buffoonish compared to Jacques. Pepin is a master of cooking, not a mere TV personality.

      Delete
  4. You have to love and admire his attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He looks and sounds like an awesome human being. A lot of the current celebrity chefs are just showmen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He sounds wonderful and it is refreshing to hear that attitude to his appearance!

    ReplyDelete