Sunday, May 8, 2016

Scranton, PA


I finished a big trial on Thursday and, as soon as I was freed from that, I started to plan my next motorcycle trip. Exploring new places is good for my soul.

With only a day to put one together, I looked for a destination that (i) was unknown to me; and (ii) was a half-day ride away. That amount of distance gets me into a travel-mood but allows enough time for me to play off the bike.

I stared at maps and consulted the interwebs. I selected Scranton, Pennsylvania mostly because it gets rave reviews for a park on the edge of the city. I journeyed off yesterday morning, arrived early afternoon, and spent the day in pursuit of enlightenment. Here is my report...




Scranton! Wow! A city with its own waterfall. And tree-house. The Nay Aug Park on the edge of town is amazing. These pictures demonstrate that if my word is insufficient.

Sadly, my exhilaration at the park's beauty disappeared when I entered town. The city itself is dead. Which is ironic because Scranton's nickname was the "Electric City," a title it got from being one of the first places in America to install electric lights in 1880.

A century ago, coal and steam powered industry here but now that's as obsolete as vaudeville. Beautiful buildings were erected which are dormant. Over half of retail space is empty and, on a Saturday night, the town snoozed. The streets are deserted and feel eery.

Due to an overwhelming paucity of excitement, I abandoned Scranton at dinnertime and sought nightlife in nearby Wilkes-Barre. Fortunately there is more energy there. Good restaurants and a more vibrant vibe. I had a fabulous meal of Indian food, wandered around Wilkes University and explored the downtown area.

I'm glad I visited Scranton. As Pee-Wee says, there are some things they don't teach you in school.


 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

20 comments:

  1. I love how you choose your destinations. Scranton, indeed - a place with hidden, eerie beauty. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. the trip looks great! I'm so happy for your traveling a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only way I know of Scranton is because they talked about all the time on The Office.

    The park does look lovely. It seems like it was perfect riding weather too.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if anyone would get that connection. It's the most popular media reference the city ever received.

      Delete
  4. So beautiful! I'm not an amazing hiker by any means, but the weather has been so nice I'm ready to go see some waterfalls again soon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The natural side of Scranton is lovely! Ha, I've only heard of it because of a line from 'The Rhythm of Life' from 'Sweet Charity' - ahem..
    "All the way from Scanton, then from Canton, even under the Manhattan Bridge..."
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so in love with your bike. I always feel like I'm on a journey with you when I read your post or see any of your photos. I am so in love with this place.

    Kia / KTS
    http://www.houseofkts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving the tree house! Thanks for sharing these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you were able to find some excitement in another town after visiting scranton! lovely scenery--just right for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in my second day of our week away and already done 700miles. We have gone on random adventures. So much fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Dale! We want to hear more.

      Delete
    2. I love your pics mine will be up soon, we went to a big lobster lol

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful way to blow off steam!
    I love the tree house.
    Weird how some places die and yet others can be thriving right next door.
    xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your photos ... Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tree house... I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  13. That treehouse is awesome!! Sounds like a pretty cool trip! Must be so fun on the motorbike too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I ennjoyed seeing Scranton and how you chose to visit it. Good call! Love the tree house,- i have never seen one like that!- and the waterfall. Scranton, who knew?
    I am glad you enjoyed the Wilkes-Barre area too! I always love university towns!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ally, someone needs to give you your own travel show or series of guidebooks. I just love the way you bring the places you visit to life here and the passion for traveling that shines though in each "open road adventure" post that you share with us.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  16. inspiring, I should learn to drive long distance and get away sometimes.
    Bing.

    ReplyDelete