Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Cheddar Cheese

In my life, I've had a dozen jobs -- but without doubt my favorite was a part-time gig I did selling cheese. On evenings during law school, I went into a cheese shop and spent several hours selling and tasting 356 varieties of cheese. The owner encouraged us to sample the cheeses so we could recommend them to customers. I arrived hungry and ate ridiculous pounds of cheese instead of dinner.

Cheddar cheese is probably the most common, beloved fromage in the world. (Cue Monty Python skit!) Normally, I buy Cabot brand cheddar which is made by a cooperative of dairy farmers in upstate New York. It's exceptionally-tasty and reasonably-priced. But, this week, something new caught my eye.

Reading a flyer for Trader Joe's , I noticed a description of their "Unexpected Cheddar Cheese" and was intrigued. They say the cheddar has not only the familiar flavor we love but the crumbly texture of hard cheese like Parmesan. Curious, I made my way to the store and picked up two chunks.

It's true -- their Unexpected Cheddar Cheese is both tasty and unusual in its texture. I enjoy it a lot and am sure you will too. The cheese won a recent competition against seven other popular brands.

Best of all, the cheese is inexpensive -- only $3.99 for a 7 oz bar.

Do you like cheddar cheese? What's your favorite?

18 comments:

  1. I love cheese also. My daughter and I were just sharing a wedge of travagio. Yum!! I also love an aged cheddar, that, and manchego are my favorites!
    That is a great price ! I wish a trader Joe's was near me! xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds really cool. I certainly do love a good cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must try. Cheese makes everything taste even better. Pizza tonight! xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love really stinky cheeses with a nice bit of blue or mould in them - never thought I would until I tried them. Cheese is hugely expensive these days - it's typically about $8-10 for a small chunk, so it's for special occasions only.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore cheese. I almost cried when I figured out I am lactose intolerant. I still sometimes eat it and then suffer the consequences but overall I try to stay away from it now. Such as shame as I previously lived on cheese, red wine and crackers.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you poor baby! Life would lose its luster for me if I couldn't eat cheese. Honestly, I eat less volume now than I used to but I love its taste.

      Delete
  6. What a cool job to have! I've never sold cheese, but I did manage a candy store for a while in my late teens.

    I adore cheese and would actually call cheddar my second favourite variety (my very favourite is a super hard to find type known as German Butter Cheese). I enjoy a range of different brands, but in recent years have been especially fond of those from the brand Balderson.

    Thank you for sharing this fun fact about yourself with us, Ally. It's always awesome to learn more about you.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great job! I love cheese! Cheddar (mild and old), Brie, Camembert, Brick, Gouda, Provolone...yes, I really love cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool job! I'm a total cheese aficionado. Love soft cheeses most!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sold cheese? Let me tell you if my fiance was alive he'd want to talk with you all about it lol. He was a cheese nut lol. More cheese was the norm in my home. Thanks for allowing me to relive these memories my friend.

    Kia / KTS
    www.houseofkts.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE cheese, followed by wind ;O

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. don't throw block of cheese at me, but i don't really care for it. i don't dislike it, but i won't order a cheese plate. i LOVE shredded white american cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, buddy. As Trump says, "Make America Grate Again." :-)

      Delete
  12. Interesting to hear that you worked in a cheese shop.

    We eat cheddar at home ... and I love it. Especially a nice thick slice with some apricot jam on it. Or a slice of strong extra mature cheddar with a gherkin/ pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not a big fan of cheese, practically I don't see much difference between ones called good and bad, for me the only real parameter is how salty it is, the less salty the better. My hubby is cheese maniac, not only he eats cheese often but also combine it with whatsoever as it makes things more tasty.
    I believe this job was great for you. Work with free food sounds like heaven for my student-self.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all cheeses!! well, blue cheese kills my tummy but I love the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love ALL cheese! havarti is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete