Sunday, May 15, 2016

Russ & Daughters


There's a cool place in Manhattan that's been in business over 100 years. It has an interesting story behind it and I went there last week.

Do you know how many companies are named "[Founder] & Sons"? Well, this store is called "Russ & Daughters." A century ago, Joel Russ traded in his pushcart and opened a food store. He had children -- but no sons. So he named his company after himself and his three daughters, Hattie, Anne and Ida. After Joel retired, his daughters took over and kept the store going. Today, the fourth generation of the family runs the place -- including one of Joel's great-granddaughters, Niki.

The store is on the Lower East Side where a large number of Jewish immigrants lived during the last century. Two years ago, the owners a cafe around the corner serving the same items for in-store dining. What do they sell? That's another story. It's an "appetizing store." What's that, you ask? Well, under Jewish law, a store that sells certain kinds of food (e.g., meat) cannot sell other kinds of food (e.g., dairy products and fish). So alongside ubiquitous New York delis were appetizing stores where you'd buy toppings to put on bagels, like cream cheese and smoked fish. Most of those stores are gone now and even once-famous delis are disappearing. 

Last Thursday I ate dinner at the Russ & Daughters café with my friend Emily. In addition to charming conversation, we enjoyed a bissel of caviar, a trio of pickled herring canapes, and a Shtetl (smoked sable, goat cream cheese, tomato, onion and capers on pumpernickel bread). The fruit blintzes we had for dessert were light, sweet and delicious.

Visiting Russ & Daughters is not only a trip back in history, it's also support of female ownership and a chance to eat some delicious food. If you come to NYC, make sure to include it on your list. 

21 comments:

  1. You are so right, usually you see {Founder} and sons but I've never heard of {Founder} & Daughters. I've never heard of this place but when I return home I will be sure to stop by. Thanks for this recommendation.

    Kia / KTS
    www.houseofkts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when you're back and I'll join you at the café.

      Delete
  2. This is so cool! What amazing history, and it sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting. Its actually the first business that I have read of that says "Daughters..." because we're so accustomed to "Sons". I can imagine that back in the day, it must have been quite a thrill.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a delicious bit of history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome, I will have to check that place out the next time I go back to NYC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool that he named it after his daughters. Def miss having a super good deli. My parents owned a deli in Tampa when I was a pre-teen and I worked at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing place, I wanna visit...and I hope we can go together :) Kisses

    Fashion and Cookies - fashion and beauty blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. What you had sounds delicious! Those little deli s are great. We had one in the Netherlands, it existed for over 150 years, it was such a lovely place to buy anything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to check this place out, thanks for the share. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love when someone points out a place like this, that is family owned and is almost a landmark at this point! Go girls. I love blintzes and caviar. I will put this on the list!
    thanks for sharing!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this, Ally! Sadly, our upcoming trip to NYC has been cancelled due to S's father's illness. I was so looking forward to seeing you again! Maybe in Toronto? xox

    Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, 100 years of business is definitely something to be proud of!

    -Kati
    http://almoststylish.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I will! Thank you for the back story on this, so interesting and one of the best things about living in New York. Have you ever been to Frankies on the LES?

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW your new motorbike is awesome!! I hope I get to meet it in person one day, maybe even go for a ride on it!! its like a dangerous weapon.. in a good way of course:)
    happy weekend.. we are off on a big adventure. Miss you.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never had caviar in my life, this 100 year old place might just be the best place to have a caviar experience (in my dreams, AZ is too far from NYC haha), Bing.

    www.bingyourstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never say never, Bing. People fly from AZ to NY every day. And caviar is nice, especially how they present it here, with fluffy little pancake pillows to place it on and soft, creamy cheeses to cut the saltiness. Oh, and pearl spoons, of course!

      Delete
  16. What a cool story behind the store!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG I totally want to go here! I knew that re: Jewish law ONLY because my friend once really wanted a slice of cheese on her pastrami and was told to go to the place across the street :) I didn't know there were "appetizer" establishments however. So interesting--thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's such a great story and way to celebrate the history of this lovely sounding family. Kudos to Mr. Russ for honouring the important roll of his daughters at a time when "& daughters" was almost never seen, but "& sons" was everywhere you looked. He definitely had a progressive outlook when it came to business (and women!).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete