Friday, May 10, 2013

Missoni (1921-2013)


At the end of 2011, I asked readers to nominate bloggers for best Post Of The Year (POTY).  Many names were submitted.  It was a fun competition.

The POTY award went to Ashley for a hilarious story on her search for new Missoni fashion during the day the clothes were released.  The post is fabulously entertaining and, if you haven't read it yet, you should go there now.

I mention this old post because Ottavio Missoni just died.  He was 92.  Missoni's designs are instantly recognizable and always popular.

Ottavio Missoni was born almost a century ago (1921) in Croatia.  In his youth, he was athletic, tall and handsome.  In 1948, he ran track in the Olympics -- and also designed his team's uniform.  During World War II, Missoni fought for the Italian Army, was captured, and spent four years in a prison camp.  After the War, he returned to Italy and started a clothing company.

Missoni's company was a success.  He explained, "I think our greatest asset is our simplicity of line.  We make it possible for women to be dressed in fashion and still dress very simply."

I find people's lives to be fascinating.  Don't you?

11 comments:

  1. Love the Ikat and chevron patterns. Missoni made them a classic!

    Sound like he led a fascinating life. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't know he died, this is the first i've heard! how sad!

    also, batman is my favorite too :) we do have a lot in common!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. That is incredible...and I can't get over that photograph of him! The lines and depth ugh it's just achingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Ottavio what a beautiful face and glorious smile, I'm sure you will be missed by your family! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't know who he was but looking at that photo of his face makes me sad that I didn't know him!!! Thanks for always sharing such important information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People's live are very fascinating, I always love learning about them! Huge fan of Missoni prints!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. People like this (and like you, for that matter!) make me feel like my life is uninteresting. But I love hearing about people's lives (which makes me appreciate commuting by bus for the fascinating characters one meets).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your life isn't uninteresting, buddy -- it fascinates me!

      Delete
  8. yes! i have espresso cups and a decorative bowl fr the target line

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea he had died! I like Missoni things even if I can't afford it! I find people's lives fascinating too, I love reading autobiographies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fascinating life! Thank you so much for drawing my attention to this. Although a few bloggers told me about chevron and missoni you were the first one and I wouldn't know anywhere as much as I do now if it wasn't for this post. This is so interesting. I think it is so cool that a print becomes so well known to a designer that the print basically takes on the name!

    ReplyDelete