Wednesday, August 25, 2021

The Right Gift

Contemplating an anniversary gift for Robin I wanted something special -- an object that's not only stylish but also serves as a metaphor. I found one that does such double duty.

I bought her an antique radio from the 1940s. It works perfectly and even has Bluetooth added so she can listen to digital music in her phone/computer. The radio was restored by a terrific radio technician who sells dozens of cool vintage radios. His company website is Retro Radio Farm. Check it out.

The metaphor of the gift is that just because something is old doesn't mean it doesn't work. The radio, like our relationship, endures after decades and decades.



17 comments:

  1. As a teen in High School I worked at a TV repair shop. I worked on many of 5 tube radio. Usually a easy fix with one of the vacuum tubes burned out. A great experience.
    http://www.rhondasescape.com/2019/05/green-stamps-5-tube-radio.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful gift and metaphor! It looks like that radio is made of Bakelite, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the metaphorical gifts! They mean so much more than anything else I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving the idea. That's really amazing and cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Love: Mariann Yip
    https://www.mariannyc.com/the-power-of-manifestation/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing gift, and such a wonderful metaphor, Ally! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very cool gift. You're such a thoughtful gift giver!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one of the nicest, most thoughtful gifts I've ever seen.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robert has a collection of vintage radios but it would be great to have one he can actually use. What a great gift idea!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see the point of having a non-working radio; that's just a paperweight. You can get radios, even old ones, that work perfectly; talented technicians can replace broken parts.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful gift! I love the idea of restoring old radios. I think the sound of them must be really nice too. It's great there are people who can fix them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deeply, wonderfully thoughtful gift, Ally.

    Tony and I married the same year we met and will be toasting to 17 years together next month. I completely agree with regarding the beauty and life that can continue to flourish in loving, stable relationships for decades upon decades, and wish that more people got to experience the joys of such firsthand still these days.

    I adore you and Robin to bits, and wholeheartedly wish you countless more happy, beautiful anniversaries + years together to come.

    Autumn Zenith �� Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete