Saturday, August 14, 2021

A New Generation

A birth just occurred in my family. Honestly, I didn't expect it to affect me as intensely as it's doing. Not because of the baby herself (all babies are wonderful) but because what her birth represents in my family's history.

My brother's son Johnathan and his wife Jessica just had baby Ella, the first of a new generation. Ella carries our family's name forward to a level beyond my adult nephew and nieces. I wasn't sure what my relation to the child is called so I had to look it up: she's my "grand-niece" or "great-niece," depending on the term you prefer.

When I was growing up, there were four of us: my mother, my father, my brother Richard and myself. My parents had harsh childhoods during rough times (e.g., World War II). They were immigrants struggling to make viable lives in a new country -- which explains how feverishly they clung to the idea of family. Lacking other support, they tried and succeeded at creating their own family. My mother, especially.

My mother, Barbara Jo, was a serious woman. She ruled our family with an iron fist. Grown men quivered at her approach. You learned quickly that, despite her size (under 5-ft tall), Barbara Jo always got what she wanted. As they say in Star Trek, resistance was futile. She grabbed your ankle with bulldog grip and wouldn't let go until you surrendered. We always did.

What made my mother's control palatable was its motivation -- love. You instinctively knew she was devoting her life and all her effort toward building and maintaining a family. A real one with strong bonds. A family that didn't exist before her.

I was the first born. I was taught the importance of my life -- I represented my family to the outside world. Our success, not merely mine, was reflected in every accomplishment I achieved. Scholastic scores, athletic victories, they were all lauded by my parents as evidence of the family's strength. I was considered more than an individual, I was held up as the chief team-player on whom huge hope and expectation was laid. That was drilled into me daily. I didn't have a choice so objecting to it was pointless. 

My brother Richard was only one year younger which made our family unit very compact. The four of us did everything together, from eating dinner every day to camping on cheap vacations. "The boys" were treated the same even though Richard's experience of life differed dramatically from mine.

Richard was troubled in several ways. When he didn't measure up to my parents' expectations, they came down hard on him. Which caused a deep rift between them and him. I tried to support Richard and advised him repeatedly not to compare himself to me or replicate my successes; I urged him to forge his own path in other directions. He had trouble doing that; he kept banging against the same wall. Eventually Richard's misbehavior got worse, out of frustration at his lack of achievement and my parents' unrelenting pressure. Ironically, Richard ended up imitating my parents in striking ways while I quietly detached myself from their influence.

Richard had three small children, the oldest of whom, Johnathan, was three when Richard died. Those children grew up not knowing or remembering their father.

My mother died in 1990 at the young age of 54 (breast cancer). Richard died in 1991 at the tender age of 33 (heart defect). My father is still alive, at age 91, but in declining mental ability. He's comfortable but in some ways already gone.

I'm jubilant at the birth of a new generation for my family. But... it comes with a sense of loss. For the loved ones no longer here, for the life now gone. For my connections to family who exist only in my memory.

Welcome, Ella.



22 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, dear Ella! what a lovely little one she is. And happy Great-Aunt-hood, Ally!

    It's a weird thing to see our family continue over the years. I'm always boggled when I see my nieces and nephews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A heart-felt post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to this crazy world, little one.

    We may not get to choose the family we are born into, but we do get chances to decide what to do with our legacy. I hope she inherits the very best of yours - love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your feeling and thoughts. Thanks for sharing. Lots of Love.

    https://www.mariannyc.com/staycation-at-the-williamsburg-hotel-2/

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh!!! She's so adorable!

    Thanks for sharing your family story and I can see how that brings up so many emotions. Your brother's children are very lucky to have you in their lives.

    Welcome baby Ella!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is so cute and adorable. Lots of love from Mariann yip to her.

    https://www.mariannyc.com/staycation-at-the-williamsburg-hotel-2

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome, Ella! It's so sweet that her birth made you take a look at where your family started + are now. It's lovely that she's going to carry your name forward!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome, Ella! This was such a lovely story. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is Gorgeous! I'm so sorry to hear that your Brother passed so young and didn't get to enjoy his own Children or see his 1st Grandchild... and they not have memory of him. Each new Generation brings Promise and Hope with it. Welcome Ella!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I love that last shot :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your family history which I really was interested to know. I'm sorry for the family members who are not still with you but love the hope that Ellie represents. She's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ella is adorable. Congrats on the birth of your great-niece. It's hard to part with family members, especially when they pass away young. I can understand the mixed feelings of happiness and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Ally, this post genuinely brought tears to my eyes. Though our stories and families differ considerably, I too can relate to the intensity of emotions, memories, hopes, fears, dreams and so forth that come with the creation - or lack thereof, as the case may be - of new generations.

    Three children (of which I am the oldest) were born to my parents. To date, none of us have conceived any children of our own. In my case, severe infertility (primarily, though not solely, caused by endometriosis) is at the heart of such. A point that while a perpetual knife in my soul, I have long made as much peace with as one reasonably can.

    It remains to be seen if either of my siblings will have children or not. One would like to, the other not so much. If none of us have kids of our own, the bloodline of both my parents will vanish into the ethers of time with us.

    I cannot begin to speak to how my siblings feel about this, but for me personally, as the oldest, it continually weighs with a mighty force on my shoulders.

    I do not believe that all family lines must go on forever, of course, and understand that countless lineages have died out over the course of time. It's just a touch harder to picture that happening to one's own DNA.

    A similar story exists within my husband's small family, too. He is one of just two kids, however, joyfully, five years ago his only sibling gave birth to a son (to date, our only nephew or niece), who we adore - though have yet to met in person, as we live on different continents.

    Whether children are in the cards for myself or my siblings, I accept the outcome and try far more to focus on the incredible miracle that is the fact we were born (such is true of all humans) and got to experience life for a brief moment in the grander scheme of time and space.

    Thank you for speaking so candidly, my dear friend, and for sharing about the awesome news of precious Ella's birth with us. May she have a long, healthy, and very happy life.

    Autumn Zenith �� Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your family history, Autumn.

      Delete