Saturday, August 28, 2021

Choosing The Right Tools

The best way to met your needs is to pick the right tool for the job. That principle applies to vehicular transportation.

Through trial-and-error I discovered that different motorcycles and cars serve different purposes. Trying to use them outside those purposes -- like bringing a station wagon to the racetrack -- is a mistake.

If your budget allows, you should get separate vehicles for different needs. I've learned I need two motorcycles: not ten, not one, but two. A sport-bike for riding fast with excellent handling and a touring bike to travel far in comfort. I wouldn't want to take the sport-bike on an uncomfortable long trip nor would it be fun to lean the heavy touring bike far over on a race-track.

I ride my bikes; they weren't bought for display so all my needs are met by these two. Unlike some motorcyclists, I don't need to collect a half dozen bikes simply to show them off.

I'm figuring out what my needs are for car transportation and that education is continuing. I need a "daily driver" (something reliable and modestly fun). The Fiat Abarth used to fulfill that role but it's starting to have mechanical problems; it doesn't give me the confidence I want not to break down on a trip far from home. So I picked up the new Mazda Miata and find it's PERFECT for this purpose. Not expensive but lots of fun; not fancy but garners compliments; and has great handling (due to low weight) despite an engine that's not powerful.

Like with motorcycles, I need two cars: one for daily driving and another, crappy one for nasty weather and bad neighborhoods. I won't take the Miata out in snow and am keeping the Fiat around for ugly Winter driving.

Unlike with motorcycles, I have a desire to add a third car. It isn't a necessity but will improve my emotional health. In the near future when I figure out what my final finances are (after selling investments), I'll get a "super-car" or "hyper-car." If you don't know what these terms mean, suffice it to say they translate to "SERIOUS MONEY."

The goal of this last vehicle is not whether it drives well in snow or has a trunk big enough for groceries; the question is: does the car raise my spirits? Will it make me happy as a reward for a lifetime of grueling work? In truth, that's a need, too, and someday I hope to satisfy it.

8 comments:

  1. I think vehicles for you are like shoes for me! :) Will it make me happy? YES! Can I use it in the snow? Hell, no! I love that you're enjoying your Miata, Ally - we have had two of them over the years and they are solid little vroom-vroom cars.

    You deserve this! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are! Thank you for the encouragement.

      Zoom zoom. :-)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Sheila, I feel the same way about clothes or boots as you do about cars.
    I hope that your need is fulfilled and satisfies you once you get your dream car. Often I find acquiring "something" doesn't always satiate my thirst. It only does it for a moment and then I'm back where I started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your experience is true and being documented by researchers who study "happiness." They find that we get more pleasure anticipating a new purchase than afterward when we own it. The human brain focuses on future gratification. Personally I try to consciously over-ride that thinking and be grateful for what I have when I have it.

      Delete
  3. Definitely having something fun AND something practical is good.

    Of course while I just got my newest car (thank you verra much!) i still "shop" when I drive around town wishing for something a little morw OOMPH. My current car crush is the Jeep Renegade. It comes in bright sporty colors and is literally shorter than my honda fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all deserve some fun with our practical lives.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you have it all worked out. I do agree with you. Functionality is important, but sometimes we also buy for emotional happiness and that is alright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May your dream supercar exceed those very dreams and bring you many, many years of joy, comfort, and exciting hours spent on the road, my friend.

    Autumn Zenith �� Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete