Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Mermaid At The Beach

The high point of the year for me was my mermaid post a few months ago. When the idea for it popped into my head, I instantly recognized the notion as clever. With the assistance of my photographer-friend Michi, execution of the idea was skilled and artistic. The whole experience was transcendent and fun.

Later, I thought it'd be nice to extend the fun by offering my tail to others. Oops... that doesn't sound right. :-)  I decided to let you guys borrow the mermaid tail for your own photoshoots. Megan Mae took first crack at it, creating a badass sea witch. Her idea is smart and reflects her unique personality.

Now, my BFF Jen is taking the tail in a different direction. Jennifer lives down South in Georgia. She took the tail to the beach. What a perfect, natural setting for a mermaid! Shooting at the beach was my first impulse but the difficult logistics of an outdoor photoshoot in public were too daunting for me. Jen, however, has the able assistance of her husband Jason (and little girl Juniper) so they were able to jump this hurdle. Plus, I secretly think Jen is braver than me. When I visited Jen and her family last March, she impressed me like few people have.

The results of Jen's photoshoot are fabulous! Doesn't she look terrific? Jen has an obviously-full basket of natural feminine beauty which boosts the pretty mermaid concept into something extraordinary. And you can tell from Jen's top-notch hair and makeup here that she put lots of effort into the photoshoot. I respect that. Modeling and photography are hard work.

Seeing people take my initial idea and craft it into their own creations makes me smile big-time. Who's next?


 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 

24 comments:

  1. Jen looks great! I'm definitely loving the beach feel. (Especially since it's about 20 degrees outside and we got 6 inches of snow here yesterday.) Does she still have a blog? - A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen stopped blogging at her old site and gave up the domain, which is why I didn't link to it. She does currently have a new website for her writing-business but it doesn't have personal blogging on it. http://www.jenniferbjacobs.com I keep up with her on Facebook and with e-mail.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for asking! <3 Giving up the domain actually wasn't intentional; I had a bunch of problems trying to renew it :(, but I am still planning to when I can get it. In the meantime, you should still be able to read previous blog posts at http://thenarcissistsdiary.blogspot.com - in fact, my most recent post is about when Ally came to stay with us for several days! I would really like to continue the self-love mission of the blog at some point - but, alas, having a 4-year-old and my own business haven't afforded me as much time as I used to have. ;)

      Delete
    3. I remember reading that post and enjoying it! I've wanted to re-start a personal blog but same as you--not as much time as I used to have (and I don't even have a 4 year old!). Glad you're doing well though! - A

      Delete
  2. She looks like a beautiful mermaid! I seriously love mermaids. I've always been obsessed with them.

    That was ver nice of you to offer your mer-tale to your friend :)

    xo Azu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I can remember playing with a green-haired mermaid in the bathtub as a little girl and wishing I could be her!! (Anyone remember Sea Wees?? This was the exact set I had - wish I still had it! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RARE-Sea-Wees-Oceanna-Tropicals-Mermaid-Seabrina-Doll-Yellow-Green-Hair-/121828333337) Even though I wasn't in the water - it was way too cold - I finally got my mermaid experience thanks to Ally!

      Delete
  3. oh what a beautiful Mermaid! thanks for keeping posted on mermaid tail travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen looks beaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaautiful!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. in fact, where's her link, must tell her...x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I saw your comment to anonymous! Well, maybe she'll read the comments here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kezzie, the "anonymous" commenter is my good friend Ashley. She posts like this because she doesn't have a blog any more. She ends her comments with her initial, which signals to me it's her.

      Delete
  7. Wow she did a great job! She really does look like a mermaid.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous mermaid, and woman! I love this idea of sharing the mermaid beauty. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks beautiful, and I love that she took the tail to the beach. No wonder these photos came out so well!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, wow she does look amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  11. She looks gorgeous and a real mermaid ! :-) See, your idea was fantastic :-* Kisses

    Fashion and Cookies - fashion blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spectacular results, she is truly a vision ! I love her artistic style and filters, almost cimenatic. Love the little girl, too. Great thing to share! Not your ordinary post - LOVE it!
    , Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many blogs that offer the "ordinary." If you want something different, come here!

      Delete
  13. Jen looks amazing in these photos. I just love the beach in the background as well, it just comes off so realistic and so gorg. Loving this post as well.

    Kia / KTS
    www.houseofkts.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the community you've created with this idea! She looks beautiful.
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so wonderfully sweet that she involved her daughter here, too. What little girl wouldn't get a huge thrill out of seeing her beloved mama look like a mermaid?

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  16. She looks like a real mermaid washed up by the tide. Beautiful. I'm not sure you can improve on this x
    Anna
    Anna's Island Style

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, gosh...I had not followed up on comments a second time til just now. Y'all have no idea how much you just freakin' made my day with such sweet sentiments!!!! Gushing!!!

    My daughter has donned this costume several times too, and she rocks it!! She also has a kid-sized mermaid costume that is cute but not nearly this ethereal. I tried to get her to wear hers in the pictures, but she was not in the mood that day, haha, but still wanted to pose with me and her mermaid doll. <3

    Thanks again, Ally, for "offering your tail"! lol

    ReplyDelete