Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Shot Out Of A Cannon

Hunter S. Thompson, the crazy writer, sought thrills most never dream of.  He took hallucinogenic drugs, hung out with Hells Angels, and consorted with corrupt politicians.  There was little Hunter wasn't up for.  It should come as no surprise then that Hunter discovered motorcycles, the ultimate thrill machine.

A motorcycle magazine (Cycle World) had a Ducati sportbike sent to Hunter and asked him to write about his experience riding it.  The article, which is famous, is vintage Thompson.  Here's my favorite part:

"Some people will tell you that slow is good -- and it may be, on some days -- but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...."


4 comments:

  1. Yay! Cool photos again! :) This post makes me want to try new things.I always want to try new things, but it is good to write down your goals and to make sure that you follow through, which is what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah so cool! I don't know if I agree that fast is necessarily better, but I do believe living a busy life is a good life. I do like to savor the good things though and take my time about it. ;) Maybe that's why I'd prefer a pokey scooter to a motobike? Although if we're talking boats, that's a whole different story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I remember this article...because in my early 40s I imagined I wanted a Ducati. Was this where he rode on an air strip?

    ReplyDelete