Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Feminism and Dress

I just read a fabulous post by one of my favorite fashion-bloggers and I want to bring it to your attention.  The blogger is poet and the post is here.



Feminism, today, is a misunderstood and largely ignored political philosophy.  When I was growing up, however, feminism was big.  In the early 1970's, feminist activism was very popular.  Society was changing, women were demanding (and obtaining) new opportunities and freedom, and the term "feminism" meant something different than it does today. 

I was introduced to feminism by my partner at the time (Maura) who gave me dozens of books to read.  We discussed the many aspects of social history and conditions.  Then we became active in several political struggles to gain greater equality for women.  Through those efforts, I became personal friends with some of the biggest names in the movement (e.g., Andrea Dworkin).

In her post, poet seeks to reconcile her beliefs about politics and society with her choices on fashion and personal appearance.  Of real significance to this, poet has superior sewing skills and makes many of her own clothes.  A while back, I showed you a laptop-bag she made out of a male-friend's jacket.

The post has both powerful insights and many, many pictures.  The pictures illustrate her points very well.  To anyone interested in fashion (like you), the post will be appealing on several levels.  I urge you to take a look.


16 comments:

  1. I will definitely take a look! Thanks for introducing me to her. I have a Women's Studies minor so this is all super important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like her quirky yet interesting style. Has a great way with words too!

    Tanvi
    from © tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thank you for the shout-out (and for your comment)! I can't feel flattered enough... It was good to read the story of how you came to feminism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me! I love her skirt anyway! So I'm going there to check! Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. imma go have a look right now. fashion and feminism are important to me. so, it should suit me just fine. i love that you are such an advocate for all us ladies!!

    xoxo,
    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read poet's post already, but would be more interested in your own thoughts NOW about feminism. How do you think it has changed since the early 70s?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to address that, Terri, but at greater length than available here. It's very complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's stunning with a freat style, i'm definitely going to' take a look. Great suggestion lovely dear! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh man, i can't even begin to tell you how much i love talking about feminism. i'm going to have to check out poet's post. and not to come off as totally self-promoting or anything, but awhile back i wrote an article about feminism and fashion that was picked up on IFB links a la mode even and a lot of people really liked it. so if you're interested in this topic and want to read more about it from bloggers, here's a link to that article:
    http://www.voguegonerogue.com/2010/07/on-feminism.html

    let me know what you think if you decide to read it!

    Kristy Eléna - Full Time Fabulous
    Vogue Gone Rogue
    Twitter: @kristyelena

    Follow Full Time Fabulous on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love her skirt in those photos- I will check out her blog now! I've been involved with many feminist organizations and I am proud to be a modern feminist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poet has some interesting and smart posts, she's a good writer, her philosophy is quite different and serious, she wonders a lot about religious, politics & social beliefs in relation to fashion and a woman's life. her curiosity about these things and her perspective amazes me...she has a big future in writing industry but I felt she's a bit timid...I would tell her to believe in herself =)+ i wish I can sew anything in a day just like she does!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a very refreshing blog post, thanks for linking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for linking, its good to see feminism still alive in some form. lately i've been feeling like america just hates women.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is o wonderful post, I will absolutely read this. While I wouldn't consider myself a feminist in what the word has come to mean, I do agree with many of the views of the original movement. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

    xxx
    Lovely blog, come see mine! :)
    www.sabinasupernova.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. great post!! and photos.. have a super awesome weekend.. dont go too fast on your motorbike this weekend.. LOL wild thang xox J

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a really good post! Thanks for sharing it Ralph!

    ReplyDelete