Sunday, October 19, 2014

World Series



Okay!  Now we know who's playing the World Series -- Kansas City Royals (who haven't been there in 29 years [1985]) and San Francisco Giants (who won two years ago).

I'm rooting for the Royals because they play with heart.  Who do you want to win?  (Go ahead and pick a team even if you don't care for sports -- life is more fun when you root for somebody.)

Five years ago, I travelled to Kansas City in search of world-class BBQ.  I tried nine restaurants in one week.  On the spur of the moment, I decided to take in a ballgame.  I saw the Royals play in beautifully-renovated Kauffman Stadium.  I got great seats, picked up right at the stadium, for a fraction of what seats cost in New York ($32).

Playing that day was the hottest new pitcher in baseball, Zack Greinke.  After demonstrating his talent, Greinke moved on to a bigger market; he now plays for the L.A. Dodgers.

While in K.C., I picked up a baseball with the team's emblem on it.  I have one from every baseball stadium I've visited.  They are nice mementos of trips.

In case you're curious, the best BBQ in K.C. is Arthur Bryant's BBQ (http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/).  Also excellent are B.B.'s Lawnside BBQ (http://www.bbslawnsidebbq.com/) and Jack Stack BBQ (http://www.jackstackbbq.com/).

7 comments:

  1. My husband would love to do a BBQ search like that! Maybe we can travel to KC and try out your picks! What a cool idea to get a ball from each stadium. I love mementos like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm rooting for the Royals too because I watched them crush the Cardinals when we visited St. Louis this summer and because I have two friends who are rather big fans. And we always try to seek out good barbeque when we go on vacation too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw that the song "Royals" was banned in San Francisco until after the World Series!

    One couple I know goes on stadium road trips. They take a week each summer to visit 2 stadiums out of state to see the Tiger's play, and often drive down to Ohio to see games on the weekends, when they are not playing in Detroit. I think you would really like them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sport, but I know not the slightest thing about baseball.But SF is one of my favourite cities so.. :) The baseball collection looks great, happy Monday buddy!
    http://fashiontalesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. baseball is not my thing (ok, my sport is one that punches faces) but having a team who managed to go so deep is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never even been to a baseball game...it's not that much of a thing here in Germany!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that you collect baseballs from stadiums visited. i love seeing the stories behind personal mementos.

    ReplyDelete