Thursday, October 30, 2014

Birthday Celebration


My birthday is next Monday (Nov. 3rd).  I'm turning... *gasp* ... old.

To celebrate, I'm inviting three of my best friends -- who all happen to be bloggers -- to dinner at a fancy restaurant.  One of my friends (Meghan) lives in Philly, so she's coming early, spending the day with me and sleeping overnight.  The other friends live in Brooklyn (Michi) and Queens (Megan) which, for those of you unfamiliar with New York, are outer boroughs that are technically part of New York City but outside of Manhattan.  They are about an hour's drive from me.

Last year I had a big birthday party attended by acquaintances and found it oddly unsatisfying.  None of those people know about my transgender nature and I felt isolated.  I felt like I couldn't confide in them and that erected a Berlin Wall between us.  This year, I want to spend time with close friends who understand and accept me for who I am.  That's important.

Do you know MeghanMichi or Megan?  If not, check out their super-cool blogs.

19 comments:

  1. What a fun night! Enjoy. And you are in no way old...I say you're only as old as you feel (which makes me 18 some days and 60 others). Happy early birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I want to come too, lol! I'm glad you have fun plans for your birthday! And I agree with the birds, you're only as old as you feel. And I do know Meghan, say hi for me and have so much fun!!

    PS - I know you've mailed me things before but I don't believe I saved the envelopes and I would like to mail you something so could you email me your address? Thanks my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy almost birthday, Ally! I stopped inviting acquaintances to my birthday parties years ago - I didn't like feeling I had to put on my "work face" for them. Good for you for celebrating with people who "get" you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY (early) BIRTHDAY!

    It sounds like you will have an amazing time! I love spending birthdays with my closets friends, I hate it when you feel obligated to invite people you are not close with, lame!

    That being said, and speaking of Birthdays, next year I turn 30! I am not sure what the plan is yet, but you are totally invited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I may show up on your doorstep. I mean, Michigan is a lot closer than Minnesota!

      Delete
  5. that's an amazing idea! I'm not celebrating my birthdays usually (me and my hubby tend to have some vacation somewhere in between our birthdays which is a week actually) but if I would I tend to have the same party as you are going to have. Have fun (in case I forget to wish it on Nov 3d) and happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unfortunately to me (and visa) I won't be able to be at your birthday party but I want to send you a gift. Could you please email me your address?

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to see you, darling!!! <3 I'm so excited. And I'm super excited to meet your friends and see your town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy soon to be birthday Ally x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea, I hope you have the best birthday ever and don't forget to take lots of photos for us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, how lovely! I've always avoided big things on my birthday, I just can't cope with them! Small and sweet!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy every minute of your birthday!!!! Hope it is everything you wish it to be.

    I am going on holiday NOW ... driving to the sea and spending a week with my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this Bday celebration sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your celebration was a blast! Good for you having the celebration you want, not what you "should"! xo JJ

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, how lovely. I'm so happy you'll be spending your birthday with friends and being your (beautiful) self, Ally. Happy early birthday! I wish you all the happiness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you should do things that make you happy :)
    So of course happy birthday, enjoy your dinner and cheers !!
    (Have a Bailey on the rocks in my name)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday tomorrow!!! Hope you have a blast!

    ReplyDelete