Saturday, July 18, 2020

Ian Dury


Over the course of a long life, I've had occasion to witness great artists at work, some of whom have since been forgotten. One of those was British punk rocker Ian Dury.

Ian was the most unlikely of rock-stars and yet, in 1978, he was the hottest thing around. His band (Ian Dury and the Blockheads) had the number 1 record in England ("New Boots and Panties!!"). Everyone in Europe could quote its lyrics by heart. During the late-70s, Dury was the most interesting, vibrant performer in rock music. And you would never have expected that from his past.

Ian was born to a poor family in England during WWII. As a child, Ian caught polio from swallowing infected water in a public swimming pool. The disease paralyzed and withered his whole left side (shoulder, arm, leg). For the rest of his childhood, he was teased and bullied -- which had the ironic effect of making him immensely strong and confident. Later Ian toiled at a music career for years and suddenly hit stardom at an unusually old age for that time (31). If you don't know Ian's name, you probably recognize some of his global hits, like the huge "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll." Ian sang with a humorous Cockney accent and his songs rock with driving rhythm.

There's a connection between Ian's physical disability and later success. He didn't have a good voice but he can SELL a song. He wrote compelling lyrics that he performed with brio bordering on braggadocio. His songs grab you hard. I remember the first time I heard him, I had to hear more. I bought "New Boots and Panties!!" in 1978 and wore it out, listening to his voice over and over. I still own that record and other Ian albums.

Ian died in 2000 after several years of suffering with cancer. Despite much time passing, Ian continues to have an active website dedicated to his music and life. Ten years ago a film-biography was made about him, starring talented Andy Serkis, which is as wild as Ian was.



14 comments:

  1. As I was a punk back in the day, of course I know who Ian Dury was, and I am quite, quite envious that you have seen him play live. New Boots and Panties is an iconic album! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love learning about artist from around the world, thanks for sharing your love of one of your favorites.I confess, I had to look him up and educate myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toyah Wilcox was another singer of that generation for whom adversity was the making of them.
    Penny from Edinburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I did a blog post on the Bloggers Art Gallery with an updated list of partipants with hyperlinks and a poster that you are free to use! Please come and have a look to check out final details. Just wanted to let you know! Looking forward to seeing your post on Tuesday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of Ian Drury! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an age-generation thing. If you were older, you would know him. He was HUGE back then. Check out the record I mention.

      Everyone (including me) misspells his name with two "r"s; it has only one.

      Delete
  6. What a remarkable person, I had never heard of Ian Drury! Definitely will give him a listen this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Ian Dury. I was honoured to sell some clothes to Baxter Dury (his son) last year which he wore on stage - he's just as talented as his dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a guy who put all his points into charisma and made it work. Sometimes it's not the best voice or most beautiful person but the person with the right *spark* to make their way in an industry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The expressive, passionate ways in which you speak of those you admire never fails to touch the heart, Ally.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for seeing and saying that, pal. I always try to look for the good in people and situations.

      Delete