Sunday, March 22, 2020

Surviving Adversity With Humor

Record stores sell old vinyl cheap so you can take chances on things that may or may not be good. Last month I picked up David Brenner's first comedy album (1983) for only $3; I finally got around to listening to it. One of his bits resonates today.

Brenner jokes about how New Yorkers are tough and can handle anything. He says, "This happened once; I saw it happen. There was a steam explosion in the street and a manhole-cover flew up into the air. When manhole-covers fly up in the air, your typical New Yorker's reaction is: 'I call heads.'"

12 comments:

  1. Nice! We have to look for the humour in our situations. Laugh in the face of the darkness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Levity is good for uplifting the Spirit during desperate times and Laughter is like a Good Medicine. Stay Well and Be Safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we can handle so much more if we are armed with a sense of humour! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, love it! Maintaining a sense of humor is especially important right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Humor is the only way through for me. I think it's vital to counter how sad it can get. Thanks for sharing.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think keeping a sense of humor during these strange and trying times is JUST what we all need! :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been listening to a lot of stand up during this time too. I think humor is one of the few ways we can move past traumatic times. For me anyway!

    Jealous of your vinyl finds! Nothing like good vinyl. I used to listen to a detective vinyl "book" on my mom's old suitcase player.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The manhole-cover joke is hilarious. I agree, we need to keep fun in our lives as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, humour is pretty much how my family deals with a lot of adversity. My father is best at making a bad situation turn into good with humour. Take care! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha, that is a funny anecdote!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It certainly sounds like something a New Yorker would say.
    Humour is quite necessary these days, a hug Ally.

    ReplyDelete