Thursday, November 22, 2012

What's Her Name?

Do you name your cars?  I do.  All things have personalities and names help us relate to them.

For example, would you expect a Hummer named Arnold to be warm and nurturing?  Or a Mini named Suzie to be thoughtless and leave you stranded?  Of course not.

My baby is about to arrive.  She was built in Italy and the boys at the factory say she speaks with an accent.  Oh, and she is definitely a girl -- something this beautiful and stylish couldn't be anything but.  Her colors are black with red stripes, seats and accents.  A fashion queen!

I'm searching for a name for her.  Maybe you can help.  I invite all suggestions.  Let's crowd-source this, as the young people say.

Obviously it will be a girl's name and, equally clear, it should have an Italian flavor.  I've always admired those exotic Italian names like Angelica and Sophia.  Something along those lines might work.  They're beautiful and sexy, like my new car.  Naturally, a long name would lend itself to a shorter nickname, as Ally is for Allison.  (That piece of trivia is on a future "How Well Do You Know Ally" test, so pay attention.)

My ideas so far are: Abrielle, Adrianna, Allegra, Ambretta, Aurella, Dianora, Sabatina, Sebastiana, Serafina, Susetta, Zabra and Zita.

What suggestions do you have?  If you propose a name that ultimately gets chosen, there's a prize involved!

24 comments:

  1. What about Isabella--a Queen's name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cast my vote for Susie.
    Our garage is home for 70's Ironlady from England- She is called Margareth aka Maggie. She is made 1972 and is a genuine RR.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked Susie. Truth be told, I've dreamed about being named Susie myself.

      Delete
  3. I'm all for Allegra or Zita from your choices! I'm going to have to think on it aha.

    I saw the name Caprice earlier and thought that was sorta sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some others with a meaning :)
    Cosima (beauty), Elettra (shining), Filomena (Friend of ease), Antonietta (valuable), Beatrice (voyager), Mimi (rebel), Petronel (little rock).
    x, Lara
    http://rockteraptor.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you've got some beauties there, Lara. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Really love this post Ally! I always name my cars, and like you I always find that they seem to be more a boy or a girl. My current cars are named Titanium (Jeep) and Kirby (my collection pink and white 1989 XR3I, but lately I've been calling her rude names because she wouldn't start http://b-by-bel.blogspot.com/2012/11/my-pink-ford-has-been-repaired-thanks.html)
    For the names you proposed for your car I like Zita best. I also like the name that 'Mimi' that Lara suggested (for it's meaning and it is also easy to say)/
    Have a great week!
    x
    Bel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zita is my favorite so far, too. Interesting that you like it.

      Delete
  6. I like the names Clarice or Vivienne. Something sweet, petite, and a little bit of flair. However I think any name that resonates with you. It may take sitting behind the wheel of the car for her to speak to you.

    I never name my pets before getting to know them well, occasionally their names take time to develop with their personalities. York the kitten was Tom Jr. for weeks before developing his own name. I don't name my cars, but I never really feel like my husband's car is "mine" since I don't really drive it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Avalon would be my vote. Shortened to Avi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flavia, Francesca, Giulia

    Of your choices - Allegra!

    or, Cara Mia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving Serafina, but I'm used to it being spelled Seraphina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm open to that. I care more about how it sounds than how it's spelled.

      Delete
    2. When you have a name as common as mine, spelling makes a difference!

      Delete
  10. Haha thanks for visiting my blog and what a great post! I have a little car and I just call it "my baby." It's a Daihatsu tho so sometimes it is called Dai. It's sort of a Kiwi name!

    If your car is Italian you could call her Bella, it means beautiful and I just think it is a really nice name.

    Yes we do have a lot of friends in common! Do you wanna follow each other? :-)


    Fashion Burger

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going with Gina, curvy and dangerous like Gina Lolobrigida.
    We always name our vehicles, too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom has a Toyota Yaris and she / he is named "Bug".. ;)
    Btw ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to suggest Desiree and Desi for short. My Mother wanted to name me that but my dad thought people would call me Desi and he did not like that. So instead I ended up with Deborah and Debbi. Not too far from Desi. I have always wished Mother had won.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with vix--Gina for gina Lollobridgida--sexy, voluptous and oh so Italian!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a little late to this, but what about Daniella?

    ReplyDelete