Friday, September 18, 2026

Vermont

Robin and I just returned from a trip to rural Vermont. We visited casual acquaintances and transformed them into good friends. Plus we visited a terrific "sugarbush" (Morse Farm) where we tasted delicious maple syrup and hot sauce.

It was our first time travelling since recent medical cataclysms. We learned how difficult some activities are now. For example, in the past I performed ALL piloting of our cars and motorcycles -- and was well-accustomed to the aggravation and exhaustion of fighting traffic near NYC. For Robin, that was a new experience. She had a tough time with it: at one point (when a dashboard warning light popped on) Robin wanted to turn the car around and return home. I needed to calm her down and reassure that all's fine and safe. In the past she may have taken for granted the effort I'd put into our travel.

A benefit of the trip was stimulating conversation about where we'd like to live in the future. New England has always appealed to me and is now a leading contender. Only when you visit the area do you see its immense contrast to suburban New York. Less traffic, less rude people, less expense and more beautiful country. Our new friends live on nine acres -- NINE ACRES! -- for less than our house with 0.15 acres costs. Whew.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, you can't visit without coming back with umpteen litres of syrup - it's practically the law 😁

    Sorry to hear about the awful traffic, but it sounds like you had a fab time up there.

    Mrs J and I had the pleasure of visiting Vermont in the autumn many decades ago. It's a beautiful part of the world, so dare I say, I get why it might on your moving list.

    So, umm, mostly pancakes from now until Easter, yeah? 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like adding maple syrup to many things, including my tea every morning (instead of sugar). It adds maple flavor.

      Delete