Sunday, September 13, 2026

In Pursuit Of A Bagel

It's possible to find adventure anywhere if you try hard enough.

This morning I woke up at 4:30 a.m. (which is not unusual) and decided to walk a mile to a bagel store to buy their fine bread product. If you arrive when the store opens at 5 a.m. there's no line of customers -- that annoyance starts later on Sunday mornings. Despite being on one of Long Island's busiest commercial roads (Route 110), the store and streets are empty this early except for Spanish-speaking staff at the store. They always greet me enthusiastically but probably wonder "What's this gringo doing up so early? This is when only we have to be out of bed."

Did I mention that, at this hour, it's pitch-black? (Sunrise is 6:32 a.m.) Did I mention that it is pouring rain? (I brought an umbrella.) Heading out I anticipated (correctly) that my feet would get soaked up to the calves (multiple unseen puddles) and my ankles were at constant risk of getting sprained from ubiquitous potholes on the edge of the roadway. (There's no sidewalk.)

I make it to the store, succeed with the purchase, and head home. All good, right? Not exactly. Remember the dark streets? Heavy rain? Mr. Magoo eyesight?

I reach home -- or what I think is my home and... What the...? It's not my house. The number on the mailbox is mine but it definitely is not my house. Hmm... After walking up and down the street a few times I finally realize I turned down the wrong block. This is not Somerset Street. In the darkness I can't see anything except mailboxes so I didn't suspect my mistake until now. Okay, so I walk around, find the right block and am finally able to peel off soaked sneakers, socks and pants. All this for a bagel.

I didn't expect the expedition to be so challenging, but that's life in the slow lane.

6 comments:

  1. At least you got home safely - and with snacks. The latter seems quite important 🙂

    A mini adventure in some ways?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late night/early morning adventures for snacks can go awry even without visual challenges, but the snackies acquired are usually well worth the effort.

    And you found a new way not to go home! Hope the bagels were delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm now craving a proper warm, freshly made bagel (used to love stopping at the Shalom bagel place when we occasionally passed it in Gants Hill as a teenager!) as I sit here, hungry, but early on the train. I'm glad you returned in one piece and made it to the eventual correct destination. Did anyone see you when you tried to break into an alternative house or were they safely tucked up?
    It was an unexpected ad adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie. Yes, many of my new adventures are quite unexpected. I don't know (and find hard to anticipate) what I'm not seeing visually so life is now full of surprises. :)

      Delete