Tuesday, June 30, 2026

Lucky Coins

As a child, I collected coins. I have dozens of silver dollars minted in the 1800s. 

It fascinates me that these objects -- which you can hold in your hand -- existed before computers (1980s), before television (1950s), before cars (1920s) and even before electricity (1880s). They were made when people traveled in horse-carriages and lit gas lamps at night. Coins from then survived until today.

These coins have seen some shit. The entirety of our modern life passed before their eyes.

When I'm out in public, I always carry one of the coins in my pocket. For luck. If you meet me in person, ask and I'll give you the coin. Spreading luck brings good fortune.

13 comments:

  1. I love old coins! I'm still sad I no longer have my mom's original coin collection. It went "missing" after she passed. She used to keep it in a vintage electric tea kettle. Old coins always remind me of that kettle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet memory. Most coin collections are humble, in shoe-boxes, etc. Which, to me, is part of their appeal. No hoity-toity pretensions, just innate love of simple objects.

      Delete
    2. A pocket is definitely one of the best places for a cool coin.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! My dad collected coins and when the "tooth fairy" came to visit when I was a kid, there was a really cool collectible coin under my pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And in 1873 that dollar could buy 20 pounds of real cheese! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I'm unaware of what the actual market value of a dollar was back then. Thanks for contributing.

      Delete
  4. I still have my dad's coin collection and my own acquired bunch. This made me laugh: "These coins have seen some shit." Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imagine some of the stories those coins could tell if they could talk! It’s quite fascinating when you stop and think about it. A single coin held in your hand could have witnessed moments of joy, sadness, love and loss across generations.

    A lovely post, Ally. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs,
    Lotte x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought about the fact that coins preceded it all! Amazing!
    I do like coins. Did I ever mention I used to collect coins as a teenager? I only told my little step sister recently and she was amazed as she also has a collection of nice 50ps and coins that a family friend gave her.
    I never forget when Mona, a lovely Instagrammers I never met in real life offered to send me a Squirrel Nutkin 50p as she felt Kezzie squirrel (my Insta name), should own it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's funny. And yes, you mentioned your past collecting when I raised this subject a few years ago.

      Delete