Monday, June 24, 2024

"Pollyanna"

We all have personalities. A combination of genetic traits, parental influences and personal quirks. Some of us are Carries, some Mirandas, and some Mr. Big. 

I'm a Pollyanna.

When people called me that in the past I didn't know what the name meant. So I looked it up. Yup, I'm a Pollyanna. The name has a history and cultural resonance.

"Pollyanna" is a 1913 American novel considered a classic of children's literature. Its immense success led to a dozen sequels and several film adaptations. My favorite is Disney's 1960 version starring Hayley Mills. She won a special Oscar for the role.

"Pollyanna" has become a symbol for people who are unfailingly optimistic and can find positive things in every situation. Although the term is sometimes used disparagingly (as excessively cheerful), Pollyanna the character found ways to cope with serious difficulties and sorrows. Her outlook was not frivolous; it was courageous. In the original story, Pollyanna is an orphan who gets hit by a car and loses the use of her legs. Searching for anything positive in that circumstance is a real challenge, yet she accomplishes it with tenacity and robust charm. Pollyanna often plays a game her father taught her before he died, "the Glad game." It consists of searching for something to be glad about in every state of affairs, no matter how bleak.

Like Pollyanna I possess gratitude, a "glass half-full" attitude. I celebrate water in my glass even when it's only 10%. That's still better than bemoaning the missing 90%. Despair begets despair and we can't live in sadness. Not long, anyway. Depression worsens physical and emotional health and repels friends we vitally need.

Littleton, New Hampshire, home of Pollyanna's author (Eleanor Porter) erected a bronze sculpture in her honor. The statue depicts smiling Pollyanna with arms flung wide in greeting. Littleton also hosts an annual festival known as "The Official Pollyanna Glad Day."

So, fire up the label-maker -- I'm Pollyanna and proud of the name.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVED Pollyanna! Such a beautiful story. I learnt to sing all of Early one Morning because of her! I always remember that quote the vicar finds, "When you look for the good, you shall indeed find it!"
    I definitely think it should be regarded as a compliment!
    I'm glad you are my friend and I'm glad you are finding joy in life despite its many trials!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kezzie, dear friend, I was thinking of you when I wrote this. Although I didn't know about Pollyanna as a child I guessed you had. "Glad" I'm right. :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved reading about your embrace of the Pollyanna spirit! Your optimistic outlook and resilience are truly inspiring and beautifully capture the essence of finding joy in every situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do wish I was more of a Pollyanna and you should indeed be proud of the name! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a Pollyanna outlook on life is a gift. If you keep your face turned towards the sunshine there are fewer shadows.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete