Monday, December 11, 2023

Stuff

A new week arrived today. Some stuff crossing my path:

- How you doin' with holiday gifts and cards? I'm almost done. Buying, addressing and mailing real cards took Herculean effort this year, including a close call with a car which ran a red light as I was crossing Route 110 on a mile-long walk to the Post Office. Please forgive me if the postage stamp on your card is a little crooked; I was a bit shaken.

- The LA Dodgers just agreed to pay a baseball player $700,000,000. The player, from Japan, is unique among today's talent in having the ability to both pitch and hit very well. The 10-year contract is the highest amount given to an athlete in any sport. Go, Dodgers!

- I just dodged a bullet: my eye doctors thought I needed more surgery -- which they described as "very painful" -- but "injections" (where they stick needles in my eye) are working well enough to avoid the operation. The same doctors describe injections as "not painful" (wrong!) so when they say something is "very painful," be afraid. Very afraid.

- Seeing how successful the JITO "airdrop" was last week, I'm considering similar airdrops on Solana (a blockchain competing with Ethereum). I prudently stayed away from investing in Solana which soared from $0 to $250 very quickly but then crashed due to FTX. Solana is now resurrected at $60. I'm still avoiding it as too volatile for investing but an airdrop is free money so why not?

- My laptop kept locking up  and crashing so I bought a new one. Haven't set it up yet but, since the device entered my house, the old laptop started working perfectly again. I suspect the old one realizes I'm about to dump it and, like a neglectful spouse, is promising to behave better. Should I trust it? It's burned me before. 🙂

Have a great week!

12 comments:

  1. I'm failing on all fronts with the card front! Not done anything about it.
    What is an airdrop? Not heard of that.
    I am so very glad you dodged the eye bullet. That sounds awful even if injections only!
    The computer thing is typical!! Give it a chance maybe?
    The payment to LA player is INSANE!!!
    Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the fun responses. There's still plenty of time for Christmas cards so don't worry. An "airdrop" is when sponsors of a new cryptocurrency give away free coins at the outset. They do that to build interest and momentum. And, yes, $700,000,000 is a lot of money!

      Delete
    2. THANK YOU FOR MY LOVELY CARD!!!!!!!!!x

      Delete
  2. I usually get my Christmas cards together after Thanksgiving. I was late sending them this year. I'm glad you survived your trip the post!

    On one hand, I'm glad you don't need additional surgery but painful injections aren't fun. Still I'm glad you're having good news. I'm still waiting on test results myself. Going into a second week.

    I also heard about the Dodgers player, but was unsurprised that he's a Japanese player. They adopted American baseball and it has a very intense love over there.

    I hope your laptop holds on but I'd recommend backing everything up while it's cooperating. I loathe "updating" tech. I'm still cranky my latest laptop is running Windows 11. If I'd wanted something that acted like a MAC, I would have bought one. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Japanese seem to like baseball more now than Americans do. Fans here find the game too slow. MLB is making adjustments to speed the game up (e.g., clocks) but nobody likes them either.

      Delete
    2. The only "real" sports game I've ever been to was actually a Braves game! I liked it a lot better than the middle school basketball games I ever witnessed. LOL

      Delete
  3. I don't believe in paper Christmas cards. Call me Scrooge but it's an environmental issue so I prefer to pay for an annual subscription for ecards and send them instead. Yeah...I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but then again, you don't risk getting run over when walking to the post office either!

    It's typical about your computer. I hate spending money updating hardware but technology advances so quickly now older computers become obsolete so quickly. I guess it's the planned obsolescence making us buy more often.

    I didn't know about the airdrop thing.

    I had heard about the Japanese player. Imagine, a couple of small countries can survive on his wages for one year. That's messed up.

    The eye injections sound awful but the surgery sounds worse. Surgery is a crap shoot. Our health is everything.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interesting feedback, Suzanne. I appreciate you visiting here. Every opportunity to chat with you delights me. :)

      Delete
  4. I sent two Christmas cards this year - one to my aunt up-Island and one to my brother and his fiancée. I also sent her a birthday card. It felt weird - I haven't done cards in decades!

    That's a lot of money - I hope he's worth it!

    Yeah, doctors don't know what pain is, so that description...eeee! I'd run away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the prime reasons I hang on to old traditions like paper holiday cards is that they remind me of the past. The lovely, glorious past when people had landlines (which must be answered!), heavy telephone books, 24 volumes of encyclopedias and three TV channels. Ah, the days...

      Delete
  5. Pain is hard to pin down, it's different for anyone. Different procedures hurt differnr people differently.
    I sometimes wonder if I managed to brainwash myself into thinking than some medical procedures are less painful then they really are just because they are inevitable.
    P.S. Never trust a laptop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're right about computers. And also about pain. It's subjective and depends a lot on our attitude. For instance, an ex-hockey player who's now a TV announcer got hit in the face by a puck yesterday. Obviously it hurt but he acted as is nothing was wrong. Attitude!

      Delete