Friday, April 21, 2023

Aging

Aging comes for all of us. Being in denial won't shield you from its destruction.

My time has arrived. "Batter's up!" 

For several months recently I lived with profound existential dread. I pondered what my life would be like without activities that give me joy. No motorcycle-riding, no reading and writing, no outdoor communing with nature. I wondered what the point of living would be if I couldn't appreciate fine art, savor conversation with friends or see a small child's smile?

In hindsight that reaction was extreme but you'll be surprised where your mind goes when it feels threatened. Contemplating a future without vision led me to dark places.

This is not a woe-is-me personal essay; rather, I want to alert you to the certainty that at some point in your life you'll start losing your sensory abilities. It's inevitable and the result of natural aging. I asked my doctor yesterday why my eyesight has deteriorated and she confessed science doesn't always know. It could be residual effects of damage to my body caused by chickenpox a half-century ago; it could be biological changes from the COVID I contracted last September; it also could be viral impacts from the RSV I caught two months ago. Our bodies are complex, fragile systems that can endure only so much before, at a critical point, collapsing. My present condition is likely a multi-factored consequence of simply existing as a biological organism for six decades.

This fate comes for us no matter how much we try to prevent it. My persistent, long-standing efforts at maintaining health and strength through good diet (mostly vegetarian with lots of unprocessed food), regular exercise, etc. carried me only so far. It took me farther than neglect would have but not far enough to the land of immortality we all fantasize of reaching.

For three months last Fall I was almost completely-blind. I struggled with that condition emotionally as well as physically. I fortunately recovered most of my vision in November but then was whacked with RSV in Febuary. That illness plunged me again into complete darkness. Fully blind for a month, my eyesight slightly improved in March but then hit a plateau -- and not an adequate one. 

Currently I can see only about 20%, am blinded by sunlight and have clouds in my eyes obstructing vision. I can't see clearly beyond five feet. I can't drive or ride a motorcycle. I can barely read with the assistance of high magnification and dimmed brightness. 

Normal life alters starkly when your senses become impaired. Every day I spill things when trying to make a cup of tea or daily food. I got a bad burn on my hand while cooking. I bump into product-displays shopping local stores. I've come dangerously close several times to getting hit by cars walking outdoors. Experiences like this are new and unwelcome.

How do we react to life-altering change? Usually not well. Just before John Fetterman achieved his life's goal of becoming a U.S. Senator (D.Penn.), he suffered a stroke that affected his ability to hear and process words. That, in turn, caused him to fall into deep, clinical depression. Fetterman stopped eating, stopped getting out of bed and gave up on doing normal stuff. His family pushed him into month-long rehabilitation where medication and psychological care pulled him out of despair. Fetterman's now attempting to return to duty in the Senate. He still suffers sensory impairment but, with auditory equipment and familial support, is finding a way to enjoy life again.

Some of us can do that (with or without professional help), some of us can't. When I was young I couldn't imagine why anyone would ever kill themselves. Now I do. Viscerally. When what makes life meaningful and pleasant for you is taken away, cruelly and often suddenly, what's left to live for? It takes a lot of imagination and fortitude to forge past that gauntlet. Not all of us have it. You'll find out yourself some day and I hope it's late in life, like your 90s, and not earlier like your 60s (or worse).

This report from Down The Road We'll All Travel has a point: i.e., appreciate your good health. Today. Mindfully be grateful for your ability to do simple tasks like make coffee. Or watch a hockey game. Don't somnambulate through the good years or you'll regret it when good turns to bad. Sadly, it inevitably will. Taste and savor every day, starting now.

31 comments:

  1. Life is full of challenges and it never gets any easier. When we are young, we have the energy but don't know how you use it in the constructive (and even meaningful) way. By the time we figure it out, we start losing our energy.

    I've struggled a lot with health all my life. I used to think it was a curse, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe it has prepared me for the stressed in life.
    Not that I would wish health problems on anyone. Life is hard even without them!

    There isn't always a reason why body starts failing us. It's perhaps a wonder that they function with everything going on and the stress we are exposed to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intelligent musings on the human condition. Thank you, friend, for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your health, Ally. It's extremely stressful when our bodies fail on us. I hope your plateau eventually brings some further improvement with time.

    I can commiserate quite a lot. COVID got me in 2020, early on and has had lasting effects. It set off my gallbladder to throwing previously un-symptomatic gallstones. I suffered pains for nearly two years before actual diagnosis? Then another 6 months waiting surgery.

    People don't realize just how isolating medical diets can be. I thought surgery would mean a return to normal. Everyone encouraging me that I would go back to how I was before.

    It's been over 7 months and I still struggle with daily pain, trouble with foods, and systemic cascade of byproduct symptoms that doctors can't figure out (not to mention the medical debt).

    Losing your sight must feel very isolating, and I hope you're able to take advantage of assistive devices and still find pleasures in your life.

    Having been caregiver/family to multiple people in their later years (including a grandmother at 100), I understand my father's 'reckless' behaviors of smoking and energy drink consumption. He's seen what 100 years looks like.

    I hope you have improvement in the future, and I hope science can find a way to help us both with our chronic issues and better improve our quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I've been aware of your medical struggles and they generate great sympathy in me. Having them intrude and affect our basic daily lives sucks. Especially since eating is normally a source of pleasure, not just sustenance. I hope both of us improve our situations and find treatments to remedy/alleviate our ailments. In the meantime I'll ALWAYS be sensitive and open to hearing about your problems, with a heart full of compassion. You've been one of the best friends anyone's ever had and you deserve my fullest attention.

      Delete
    2. Right back at ya, my friend. You deserve to enjoy the beautiful world around you.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to learn you are struggling with this...much worse than I realized. When things go sideways and all the joys in our lives are taken away from us depression can quickly take over. When I had my medical crisis in my mid 40s I was mentally prepared to get off the ride of life. Lucky for me things did improve and I've learned how to live with the changes in my body. When you're in the thick of things and nothing seems to be going right it is often impossible to believe that things will improve. Hopefully you now have an action plan. ((((( Ally )))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. Only someone who's seen the darkness can describe it as well as you do. My heart reaches out to you for those bad experiences. I do have "an action plan" and hope to either improve my situation or, if that fails, come to terms with it and find other, currently-unknown ways to find joy in life. Thank you for writing so poignantly.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your eyesight, Ally. I do hope it improves. But I know with your attitude and determination you will still be able to manage and find joy. Aging truly is not fun...my knees and back have succumbed and I miss long-distance running so much! Nothing can replace it. I'm grateful that it's not serious, but I'm really dreading worse things ahead as I continue aging. Anyway, I'm sorry this is happening but it sounds like you're handling it really well. And maybe your other senses will become heightened? (I'm almost legally blind without glasses/contacts and I swear I've developed super hearing over the years.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, pal. Yes, I'll develop new superpowers like you and find ways to enjoy life no matter what happens. Big hug.

      Delete
  5. I've been suffering from eye strain and headaches related to the new and stronger lenses in my glasses and felt a bit sorry for myself. That's until I read your post. Your predicament puts my minor problems well and truly into perspective.
    I'm keeping my fingers and everything else crossed that this plateau of 20% vision isn't the end and that there will be a significant improvement in your eyesight in the near future. Sending hugs! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann. I appreciate your words. Don't minimize your own struggles because it's human nature to focus exclusively on what's in front of us. We are as emotionally affected by smaller problems as bigger ones. Big hug back at ya!

      Delete
  6. Oh Ally, I had no idea! The loss of your sight like that is SUCH a big deal in so many ways. You are right that you need to enjoy your life now whilst you can! So many of the things I most love (like you) are based on sight- reading tiny musical notes on an orchestral flute part, watching the conductor at the same time, reading a book, making cards, walking in fells, gardening, writing, cycling, watching shows are all based on eye-sight and I can't imagine what I'd feel like if I were in your shoes. I do worry about my eye-sight long-term as I can only see out of my right-eye (and have done since birth due to a lens defect called Morning Glory Syndrome) and not sure how age will affect it.
    Sending you massive hugs because although you said, this isn't a "woe is me" essay, it is rubbish and I hope so much that your sight may improve. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend. I didn't know about your eye; that's a tough break. We'll both be okay and I send you good wishes.

      Delete
  7. Hi, having recently suffered temporary hearing loss, I was surprised how badly it affected me. To see how you are coping with a much greater loss is uplifting. I hope your sight continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good wishes. Sorry to hear about your hearing problem. What I'm trying to say here is we'll all face challenges like this. We need to gird our loins and survive them with courage.

      Delete
  8. Oh, Ally, I am so sorry to hear about your eyesight! Logan and I both send our very best good vibes to you that this is just temporary, and that you'll recover more of your sight. I've been watching our moms age, and am becoming aware of my own body's betrayal (I have tinnitus in one ear, and definitely have hearing loss).

    I remind myself, "Time running out is a gift." You are so right - we have to enjoy and appreciate what we have RIGHT NOW, because nothing lasts.

    Big hugs to you, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dear. Just three months ago I felt on top of the world. Collapse can be sudden and scary. What I'm trying to say in this post is we have to awaken to reality -- our lives are fragile and short -- becoming conscious of that helps, as you note. Best wishes to you and your Bruins fan hubby.

      Delete
  9. I commiserate with you all. When I was 39, I had a stroke. I have been in a wheelchair ever since. I couldn't remember my (real) name. Relatives didn't help, of course. I did remember, however. My blog has been my life send.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Emily, I wasn't aware of this. I'm so sorry. Having to adjust to such a life-changing condition is so so hard. I admire your courage and fortitude.

      Delete
  10. SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR EYESIGHT. SENDING MY PRAYERS.
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Based on how I've become to "know" you, Ally - if I can even say that, quotes or not, after having read several dozen of your blog posts and comments over the past several months - I dare say I see one of your characteristic traits in this post. Even as you are experiencing what is no doubt extremely demanding, difficult and stressful, you still take the time and energy to think of OTHERS and compose a very insightful post to serve as a gentle wake-up call to all whom it may concern - and as you noted, that means all of us. There is no "woe is me" in your post that I can see; only sharp common sense, deep and sincere interest in the world and in the wellbeing of others, and lots of love. Thank you for writing this.

    And of course I do hope and trust your eyesight improves. You are a fighter and a very stylish one at that! I'm sending very warm regards from Prague, and I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, European friend, for the kind words. I'm humbled by your assessment of my character which I believe is accurate. I follow my natural instincts and they go in the directions you describe. Best wishes to you!

      Delete
    2. :)

      Did you get a chance to catch any games last night? I know the Bruins are your nemesis, but in case you saw their last dust-up with the Panthers, surely you appreciated Pasta's two goals, one of them scored more or less behind his back. :)

      Delete
    3. Yes, I appreciate good hockey even from the Bruins. :)

      Delete
    4. I should have known! :)

      I'm not a Bruins fan or anything, it's just that there are so many Czechs on the team now. That said, I'm also not enough of a hockey fan to watch the games live too often 1) at all and 2) when it's around 4 AM here in Europe. But, I did watch last night. My dad who has a weird sleeping schedule watches every night all night, though.

      Delete
  12. I really needed this post today, as I just passed a birthday, and await tests results.

    I never cared about aging or those *big* landmark birthdays but the past few years have been humbling as things just naturally break down no matter how healthy I've tried to be. And family members are going through their own age related issues.

    I've always had anxiety issues (panic attacks) that mostly stayed checked until after COVID. I did start therapy - CBT - and it has helped me challenge and recenter my thoughts but aging and the thoughts that come with it have been tough.

    Best of luck to you and your health.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Karen, and extend my sympathy to you. Getting old is hard and sadly there's no avoiding it. Keep your chin up, focus on what you still have and find peace wherever you can. For me right now that's a warm cup of tea. :)

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing about your struggles, and I am sorry to hear about the health issues. I recently turned 67, and I am trying to prepare myself for a time when I am unable to care for myself. It is not easy getting old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sympathy, buddy. No, it isn't easy getting old. I want to alert people, especially those our age, of what lies ahead.

      Delete