Wednesday, January 25, 2023

New Jersey Devils

I know most of you aren't hockey fans but everyone loves a Cinderella story. 

The New Jersey Devils have been a neglected stepchild for over a decade. Condemned to cleaning the house, ignored and unloved by all around them. When you mention their name to hockey fans you hear scoffs and derision. But...

But! The team has been quietly building a powerhouse ensemble of unknown young players whose speed and talent are extraordinary. And this is their breakout year. 

The Devils announced themselves in November by winning more games that month than any other team in hockey history. Since then they've proven that wasn't a fluke. Repeatedly, including last night, they combat top-notch opponents, score decisive goals at critical moments and protect their net. 

Despite the obscurity and ignominy the team has long labored in, they will become heralded stars in a few weeks when they qualify for the playoffs and win important games. If you get on the bandwagon now you'll be able to celebrate with me then.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry, I'll be cheering for the Bruins, Ally! ;-P Doesn't it feel great when your team gets their sh*t together? So much fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the first thing about hockey, but I'm getting your excitement that your team is doing fantastic, Ally! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to know anything about hockey to enjoy the games. Fast, exciting action. I can't skate and hardly believe what's happening on the ice but love to watch.

      Delete
  3. I've never been any particular sports fan, but I definitely became aware of the energy it can produce when "your" team succeeds. I was living in Nashville when the Titans (football) jetsoned into success and went to the superbowl. Even 23 years passing, I remember it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I used to root for the Nashville Predators when my favorite player (PK Subban) played with them. I became a Devils fan only when PK moved there.

      Delete
  4. Ah, that's SUCH a nice story!!! I love it when something like that happens! Long may their success continue! I don't watch Hockey but I am happy to root for them with you!

    ReplyDelete