Thursday, January 5, 2023

Experiences

When you get older, you realize experiences are more important than objects. Experiences are something unique that happened to you once and will never recur. Objects are mere trinkets, usually fungible and subject to decay -- unlike memories of key experiences which stay with us for life.

I'm not as smart as I appear but I'm capable of growth. When truth stares me in the face, I look at it and learn from it. Here's an example.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit I selected my new motorcycle for its looks. The Janus Halcyon's rare, distinctive retro-style attracts public attention like a strong magnet. That aspect of the bike is certainly attractive to me. But I'm learning, separate from that, that the experience actually riding the bike is also immensely pleasurable -- and vastly different from what my other motorcycles offer. 

The Halcyon model uses design from the 1920s, back before motorcycles became aerodynamically engineered machines capable of high speed. They were more similar to bicycles than automobiles with simple addition of a motor. Traveling at 30-60 mph was their goal. The geometry of motorcycles a century ago wasn't as advanced as it is today with machines taking sophisticated cues from racing sportbikes.

This translates to a dramatically different, instantly noticeable experience when riding. The bike handles different, feels different and runs different. Everything about it differs from what I'm used to. In fact, I'd say these bikes really should be operated only by riders with advanced skills; beginners will quickly get into trouble on them. When I ride the Janus, it requires me to deploy my highest riding skills, like intuitive control of the throttle and clutch, unconscious use of the rear brake, and careful balance in turns. Without these skills you'll certainly end up in a ditch on the side of the road. Unlike modern motorcycles, the bike's design and primitive technology doesn't do a lot of the handling work for you. No ABS, no traction control, etc.

At the same time, riding the Janus feels like time-traveling to an ancient era when motorcyclists sat upright, felt the wind hit them directly in the chest, wrestled with natural forces and developed pioneering riding-skills to stay alive. On the bike I feel like a rural postal-carrier scooting long distances in the Midwest a century ago, only occasionally seeing another vehicle on the road. Without today's cocoon of protection from the environment, I get off the bike with bug-splatter on my face-shield and jacket and unexpected physical exhaustion in my upper-body. 

Yesterday's riding-experience is totally unlike today's and the contrast is delightful to taste. I find riding the Janus more interesting and fun than riding my modern bikes -- and its palpable hardships enhance that feeling. Sometimes "better" is not preferable. I've traveled to the past and enjoy being there.

14 comments:

  1. It's a time machine! I feel similarly about wearing vintage clothing - it transports me to a time when more care was put into creating garments.

    I am learning to value experiences over anything - our time is so short on this earth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wholeheartedly agree! Experiences are so much more precious! Doing something special like riding your Halcyon have so much impact. I love experiences that help us timetravel. I love staying in places that remind you of the simplicity (& conversely , complexity) of the past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kezzie. Your opinion matters to me.

      Delete
  3. Kezzie again! Forgot to sign off!
    Also, I thought your writing was really evocative here! So beautifully described!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes objects help build experiences 😉 and I think you're right to focus on experiences. There was a post on a psychology blog about how nostalgia can help us cope when things are tough.

    The bike ride without the gadgets sounds great, if perhaps bordering on the scary side of thrilling. 😁 Still, it's also building your experiences *and* should, which are good for our health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifully written post, Ally! Experiences do get more important with age, and with the Halcyon you get the additional experience of travelling back in time. What a machine! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice when something looks cool - And feels good/works good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a long time since I last rode a bike, but even then I preferred simple ~ I think the experience is simply more involving. I feel very much the same way about cars, I prefer not to have everything power assisted and automatic, unfortunately me for I simply do not have the space to keep a classic, either two or four wheeled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How incredibly interesting. I am absolutely petrified of motorcycles (and even bicycles) but your excellent description of riding them almost makes me want to take a ride sometime! I loved how you compared the experiences too - as someone who has never been on a motorcycle before, I almost feel like I've ridden them. Mildly disagree on the objects though...I'm old but still prefer them to experiences. LOL.

    ReplyDelete