Wednesday, December 30, 2020

The Year In Pictures

While good and bad things happen every year, 2020 stood out with its deep horrors. The current pandemic is lasting longer than a Grateful Dead song. 

(If you don't get that joke, ask a Boomer.)

On the plus side, many of us learned new lessons this year -- like how buying clothes is unnecessary, masks steam up your glasses, remote work sucks as bad as normal work, and video-chats don't require pants. We also discovered which of our partner's personal habits are especially annoying. That reminds me of an elderly woman who once appeared on "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson back in the Seventies. Johnny complimented her on her lengthy marriage (50 years) and asked if she'd ever considered divorce. She said, "Divorce? No. Murder? Yes!"

What bright spots did you find in 2020? Any new hobbies? Improvement of your cooking skill? Inquiry into the meaning of life? Realizing we're alone in the universe because aliens must have put up quarantine signs warning against contact with Earth?

For me, this year was a time I dove into film photography. It's a satisfying passion and scratches my creative itch. I enjoy reviving ancient cameras and shooting film that's hard to find and develop. Film photography has challenges, nostalgia, aesthetic pleasure and satisfaction from mastering new skills. I'll always remember 2020 for accelerating this hobby with turbo-boost.

Here are my favorite photos of the year. If you're interested, there are stories behind each and why they matter to me. Each picture represents the apogee of my achievement in different areas: e.g., travel photos, artistic photos, etc. Comments and feedback are gratefully appreciated.

Happy New Year!



















18 comments:

  1. Oh wow, beautiful photos!!! 2020 was a crazy year for sure, but I'm hoping for lighter days in the new year.

    -lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely realized how important supporting my family and working as a unit has helped us stay afloat.

    I didn't really bake bread or make crafts or any of the quarantine things most people did. I found myself facing things I had put off for ages - a bed with broken springs, a car in constant need of repair and ultimately replacing, taking my pets to the vet, and going back to therapy for myself.

    It has been a year of reframing expectations for myself, a hard one at that.

    But I've been glad to have had my friends to lean on for support. I would've lost it without snail mail, email, Facebook. And of course enjoying your artistic pursuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Focusing on our core needs was smart. For each of us they're different. I did the same as you only in different areas. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. These are amazing photos, Ally, you're really talented.

    2020's been a weird one for me, for sure. My work changed, my friend died, the world keeps spinning, though.

    Here's to 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ally. I'm an amateur artist. An enthusiastic one but simply an amateur -- which is fine because I pursue art for pleasure, not profit or recognition. I know people who've devoted their lives to art and I'm not in their class.

      Yes, you experienced changes this year and I'm sorry for your loss. I hope the New Year treats you well.

      Delete
  4. The pandemic lasting longer than a Grateful Dead song made me laugh out loud :-) While I rediscovered gardening, I am pleased to hear you've relished taking up photography. I think your photos are absolutely amazing, Ally!
    Here's to a better 2021! Happy New Year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, buddy. We all need a hobby. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  5. Love all of these! I'm so glad you discovered film photography, you have a gift for it!! Can't wait to see more in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that divorce/murder quote! When I first got married, people would ask me "How is married life?" and I'd always feel bad that I wanted to say, "I want to wring his neck!" - it was SO hard to get used to. I then got used to married life!
    I am glad you managed to do something wonderful with photography- this is really lovely.
    I would say you were also good at developing correspondence- I've enjoyed all my wonderful surprise Ally deliveries that have arrived and I am just sorry I've been so terrible at reciprocating even though I've had various times I've meant to. I WILl at some point soon!
    I really like the picture in the tunnel- perhaps it is because it is surrounded by black and white photos but it reallly stands out- I like all the symmetry with the not-quite-so-symmetrical- the people on one side, the pink and red and then the ceiling light. Tell me about that one (sorry if I read about it already- I can't remember if so?). I also like the shiny balls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color photo shows a hallway in the TWA Hotel at JFK Airport in Queens, NY. If you ever fly into New York, you'll be right near here and should visit.

      I blogged about the hotel when I visited it for my birthday a year ago -- http://shybiker.blogspot.com/2019/11/twa-hotel.html

      Delete
  7. There is magic in film photography and it is great you took it up. I'm always happy to see film enthusiasts.
    2020 was a hard year for sure. I was lucky that my husband was so supporting with helping around the house, shopping and everything when my work got overwhelming. There were a few months during lockdown when he did absolutely everything, I was on my laptop from 6am to 12 pm every day but in the end it all worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good partnership at home was crucial during the pandemic. We relied on each other more intensely. Glad you have a nice husband!

      Delete
  8. Thank you, truly, for being a bright, inspiring, friendly, wonderful light in our lives no matter how dark the world may be at times, Ally.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete