Saturday, December 19, 2020

"Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"

 

The best film of the year was just released on Netflix -- "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom." Written by theatrical poet August Wilson, the movie portrays real-life blues singer Ma Rainey. Ma, called "Mother of the Blues," was one of the first to record blues music, influencing a generation of singers. 

What makes the film special are Wilson's writing which crackles with emotion and the leads' acting performances. Viola Davis does a convincing job as Ma and my favorite actor, Chadwick Boseman, is terrific as ambitious trumpeter Levee. Chadwick, who tragically died of cancer after making the film, has a string of incredible movies; "Get on Up" is the best. His work in this film is beyond Oscar-worthy: it'll be a crime if he doesn't win the award. There are scenes here that blow you away.

Do yourself a favor and see this. And "y'all just leave Levee alone about the white man."


12 comments:

  1. Viola Davis is a wonderful actress, she's a great choice for this important role. I don't have Netflix but I'll watch this film when I can. Thank you for your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank's for the tip, I'll make sure I don't miss it, Viola is so amazing!
    Happy Holidays,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. One to look out for, I'm sure. I've always had lots of admiration for Ma Rainey, whom my Dad, a true jazz and blues fan, introduced me to. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed -- you're the first person I've met who knew who she was.

      Delete
  4. I've heard her name before- I think it must be in the weekly newsletter I get from the London Swing dance Society- Simon goes into the history and the key exponents of all the swing dance types which of course, include the Blues. However, I wouldn't have been able yo remember why I knew her name without this context. Viola Davis! What a gorgeous, musical name. Thsnks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's on my Netflix list - thanks for the recommendation, Ally!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not have netflix but thank you for introducing me to a great star! :D Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Viola Davis is SO AMAZINGLY TALENTED! This one is on my must-see list!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much for this film recommendation, Ally. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's on Netflix Canada as well. (We get a fraction of what the US version offers.)

    Many a year ago now, Ma Rainey's music and life story crossed my path. A point from which has always stood out for me is the fact that she is a sizable percentage of the songs she sung. That was a rarity for any woman at the time, and virtually unheard for a female of colour.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, and it's a major point of the film. Her struggle to own her own art.

      Delete