Tuesday, October 20, 2020

"The Trial Of The Chicago 7"

Aaron Sorkin wrote this movie a decade ago but couldn't find financing. That was a blessing in disguise because today the film resonates in ways it wouldn't have in 2007. Its topics -- governmental oppression of political dissent; police brutality; judicial corruption -- are visible in today's racial justice protests, connecting us to the Sixties.

Sorkin treats that tumultuous time with wide focus, not narrowing it to any particular character's view. That's a smart choice because it describes the Sixties in a general, accurate manner.

Sasha Baron-Cohen plays Abbie Hoffman, a mischievous Yippie. Back then, I bought and read Hoffman's famous work, "Steal This Book." My parents were aghast but the book taught me valuable lessons in living outside the box of social convention. The book was self-published after being rejected by 30 book publishers and many retailers refused to carry it. Canada banned the book entirely. Which made it all the more attractive to young readers at the time.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. That's awesome. This just reminds me to keep hope for anything that might be worth it. Having the book being self-published after all the rejection is simply amazing. I literally learn like 3 things just on this post. I am loving your blog. :D Glad to see you use bloglovin'. I have been looking for bloggers who use that awesome platform :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually put this on my to-watch list. You've got great taste so I know I'll have to watch it now.

    And yes, as a kid, "banned books" are all the more interesting.

    Funny enough, much of my high school reading was from the banned book list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it funny, someone posted about banned books but it was an old list and that list gets updated all the time. But I've always enjoyed checking out banned books and trying to figure out why they're banned in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sasha Baron Cohen and the '60s so I need to check this out! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Banning books is like trying to drain the ocean one thimbleful at a time. Sure, you might reduce the capacity slightly in the moment, but - thankfully - the bigger body of water, or work, still exists. As it always and rightfully should, IMO!

    Each fall, there is a "banned book week" (https://bannedbooksweek.org/) celebrated by readers around the world. I love to use it as a time to both read and study up all the more on various titles that have been, or may still be (in some places at least) banned from library and bookstore shelves.

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete