Saturday, October 24, 2020

Art Deco

I was going to sail through Syracuse on my way to Potsdam today but my friend Jaime encouraged me to stop in the city and check out an Art Deco masterpiece. I'm glad I did.

This dramatic building was built in 1932. It was headquarters for Niagara Mohawk Power Co., then the nation's largest electricity company. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It's a stunner. On the sixth floor is a 30-foot high sculpture called "The Spirit of Light." It symbolizes the new "Age of Electricity." You can learn more details about the building here.

While I was taking pictures an old man walked by. He stopped and told me he's been waiting his whole life "for that winged guy to fly away but he never has." 

While visiting Syracuse's City Center I ran into other amazing old buildings. I'll show you them in future posts. By the way, did you know Syracuse is the fifth largest city in New York? I had no idea. I just thought it was a snow-magnet.





10 comments:

  1. I have a particular weakness for Art Deco buildings, and I count myself lucky that the view of my office window is of Antwerp's famous Art Deco skyscraper, the first skyscraper in Europe. That Art Deco building in Syracuse is a master piece, and I love it very much. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you'll have to show me that building some day.

      Delete
  2. Yes! I took so many photos of this building when I was in Syracuse for a conference a few years go. It's just stunning. I hope you got to go to the Emerson Art Museum too - it's one of my favorite I.M. Pei buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool building. Art deco is certainly a unique style.

    Somehow this one reminds me of my fifth grade school..lol! Not my fifth grade school, but you should google Hume Fogg (my high school). It looks like a castle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge fan of Art Deco! That figure reminds me of the robot in "Metropolis".

    Thank you for the letter with the article about "9th Street Women"! that is so cool that they're making a series/movie about Grace Hartigan! The book is still in my to-read pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm confused- is New York a city or a state?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both. The city of New York is at the bottom of the State of New York. While the city is crowded and liberal, the rest of the State (referred to as "upstate") is rural, uncrowded and largely conservative. While the city is far from Canada (400 miles), the State touches Canada at several points.

      Delete
  6. Staggeringly beautiful. One can all but see and hear the echoes of the era in which this stately building was built still resonating off those sharp, iconic art deco lines.

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete