Saturday, July 29, 2017

Vintage Haul


I had a wonderful time tonight!

I heard my favorite store (Rosie's Vintage) was participating in a "Late Night Arts, Antiques and Vinyl Fest" at our local art-film house so I went down to see what was on tap. There were a dozen vendors of really cool stuff -- authentic vintage clothing, interesting antiques and vinyl records. Craft beer lubricated the event and a DJ pumped up the vibe. It was a party where you could bring stuff home!

I saw my good friend Thea whom I mentioned here two months ago. We hugged and chatted. I root for Thea to succeed and was happy to see a horde of eager beavers in front of her wares. Among her vintage goods were two items I picked up -- an antique camera and an Edison Record. Edison Records were the earliest musical recordings: they captured sound on cylinders made of wax and later celluloid. They were sold from 1888 to 1929. It's fun having a piece of history even if you don't own the antique "phonograph" used to play it.

From another vendor I snagged a cute tie-bar for my neckties. The bar depicts a bowling ball and pins which are classic icons from the Forties and Fifties. I got mermaid note-cards made by a female Japanese artist who uses an ancient print-making process to create them. I fell in love with a frilly pink top which will grace an outfit-post soon. Of course I took home some vinyl: an album by Harry Chapin, popular singer from the Seventies who worked to cure hunger, and another by Lead Belly, blues singer from a century ago.














Lastly, I enjoyed leafing through a box of old photographs. There is something moving about old pictures even if you don't know the people in them. I found two which struck an emotional chord in me and I brought them home. What do you think when you look at them?

Next time an event like this pops up, you should join me!






17 comments:

  1. Oooh, this sounds really exciting Ally! I'm so glad you mentioned the Phonograph because I read The Patchwork Girl of Oz when I was young and there was a phonograph which had come alive in the story and I was always confused by why it wasn't called a Record Player but now I know it was a completely different device! I've never thought to read up on it!
    Love your pink frilly top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie. It's fun to learn about old technology.

      Delete
  2. A vintage festival sounds so cool! I bet there are some unique pieces to see. I would be all over the vintage cameras and photographs. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what amazing things you found. I would have picked up the Edison cylinder too, such an interesting piece to own. The Brownie camera is great too. I have quite a few Brownies, but not that version. Browsing through old photographs can be quite poignant. Looking forward to seeing you in the frilly pink top! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those photos are treasures! So expressive, I feel badly they were abandoned... glad you rescued them though! Such a pretty pink blouse,and cool , kitschy tie bar. Strike! That blouse is going to look fabulous on you.
    Love harry Chapin...
    Xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old photographs kind of freak me out. It might be that they are often featured in horror movies or lots of the people in the photos look like they starred in a horror movie.

    That is so interesting about the Edison Record. Thanks for enlightening me!

    I love going to sales like this. So many interesting things to discover.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I feel the same about old photos and always wonder how they ended up being sold to strangers! :-)

    -Kati
    Almost Stylish

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a Great Event and I so LOVE the Blues... congrats on the Lead Belly LP Score!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bowling pins, mermaids, vinyl... Who were the DJ's???? The top looks vintage!!! I luv old pics, too. I sort of have a thing for sailor outfits :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have gone to this event if I lived nearby !! Oh I was so excited just reading about it and seeing what you brought home. I am a total vintage, antique hoarder at heart and IRL. Just to give you an idea I have a 60's tv that does not work, 1920's camera, 1890s dress form, my great grandmother's sewing machine... I find great joy in old every day use items. Nothing luxurious. When I see old pictures in boxes it makes me sad. I think how it is the family did not want the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some excellent finds. My wife and I have that old Harry Chapin album. He met his untimely death the day that we closed on the house we bought in Syosset. We were stuck in the traffic jam caused by his car accident and were late to the closing.
    He songs always struck a chord...especially "Cat's in the Cradle".
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man. His premature death was such a tragedy. "Cats..." Is one of the best songs of all time.

      Delete
  11. camera looks like a perfect find! I find them amazing. In fact it's hard for me to avoid getting new old camera even if it's not working. By the way, does your camera work?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo. You'd love this little shop that opened near me called Art and Oddities. It's a mix of antique, taxidermy, and straight up weird. I haven't purchased anything, but it was fun poking around. I adore antique post cards, the older the better. I like blank ones, but I also love reading what people wrote to one another.

    ReplyDelete