Saturday, July 22, 2017

Secrets


We're friends, aren't we? Friends confide in each other. I'm gonna tell you a secret and, if you want, you can reveal one of yours.

It's public knowledge that I'm transgender. It's also been publicly disclosed that when I was six years old I wrapped a bath-towel around my body and pretended it was a dress. An essay revealed that when I was ten years old I bought a pair of tan pantyhose which I hid in an empty coffee-can and buried in our backyard. Everyone knows these things about me.

You also know I've been actively buying women's clothes during the past decade.

My secret... and this is something nobody knows until now... is that on the many shopping expeditions in my life, I never tried on women's clothing in a store dressing-room until two weeks ago when I went thrifting with Suzanne and Patti. That was the first (and only) time I've done it.

Honestly, this is something I never thought I'd have the courage to do. It's a PUBLIC violation of gender rules, particularly conspicuous since most stores -- including the one we visited -- have an employee guarding the dressing room to check items you bring in. I've also always worried about disturbing other female shoppers who might be discomforted at the sight of me. Would it upset you to see a "man" taking women's clothing into a dressing room? (Addendum: As noted in my response to Elle's comment below, these were private, single-person dressing rooms, not a communal room; I respect and would never intrude on other women's privacy.)

Credit for my first experience doing this belongs to Suzanne. Suzanne not only suggested I do this, she implied she expected me to. Suzanne made me confront my fear and, at the same time, she reassured me with her presence. If you've ever met Suzanne in person, you know she radiates power. (See above picture.) I knew she'd have my back if trouble arose. With her support, I felt strong enough to break a new personal barrier.

Thank you, Suzanne!

And now tell me one of your secrets!

22 comments:

  1. Wow, I did not realize that - although now that I think of it, I remember you bought a skirt at a consignment shop in Vancouver without trying it on. Way to go, Ally! That is a huge step for you. :)

    Hmmm...my secrets are deep...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. The skirt I bought when shopping with you doesn't stretch so I took a risk buying it without trying it on, but I wasn't ready then.

      Delete
  2. I'm so very happy you decided to share this with your readers Ally because it was HUGE!

    I had no idea whatsoever when we were trying on clothes that you'd never done it before.

    It made me so happy that I was able to share this first semi public experience with you in your authentic packaging. How liberating!

    It was a joy to see that truly no one minded one bit. No one blinked an eye, and we did this in two different stores : )


    Hmmm... secrets...nope. None. Hahahahahaha!

    bisous
    Suzanne


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne. For everything. One day I'm going to unearth those secrets of yours!

      Delete
  3. Ally you are the best! I wish you more fun exploring being your lovely self in all sorts of environments.

    s3kr1t: I was a hardcore tomboy as a teenager. Only wore large men's clothing from CostCo (then Price Club.) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear from you, Aya. Thanks for the support.

      Delete
  4. I am impressed you had the courage to do this, and yes I can see Suzanne influencing you in this way, and I am glad. I would first feel a bit startled, if I saw a man in the dressing room, but then I would be very nice happy that times are what they are- finally !
    Secrets of mine.. maybe a post on that !
    Xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elle, for your candor. I was talking only about places with individual changing-rooms, not a communal room. The only thing anyone saw was me entering a private room. I totally respect people's privacy and women's particular desire for it away from the eyes of men.

      Delete
  5. I love people like Suzanne!!! It helps having support!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzanne is such a lovely Person.
    Nice Picture and post :D

    with love your AMELY ROSE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's amazing that you were able to do that! I'm so happy that you did and had such supportive friends encouraging you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Ally, what a great step and I am so happy that Suzanne was there. It's those small things that day by day add joy to your life that really count. Now you have yet another experience to share... what did you think of it ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavenly! So fulfilling. Once you put aside your fear and embrace your dream, it feels like floating in air.

      Delete
  9. You need another post giving the details...the type of store, the folks in the store, the items that you tried on, what you were wearing while out and about, etc...
    I am jealous since going out shopping while dressed and trying on clothes in a store is very high on my bucket list along with going out to a restaurant.
    It seems like a great trip and a great adventure.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great adventure. I'll add details later.

      Delete
  10. I remembr the trepidation I felt going into a dressingroom in a men's shop by myself. Not quite as scary as yours but surprisingly so.
    So glad you had support in this.
    An online secret: I recently changed my name IRL from Jack to Jaq to better reflect my genderqueer status. I love it! Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww! I'm glad you had the courage. I know it can be scary doing something new. I wouldn't think twice, but I'm a big supporter of wear whatever you want.

    I'm not a terribly secretive person. I suppose I could admit to reading (and enjoying) the twilight books. I never became Obsessed, but I did enjoy it in a junk food literature way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so Glad you had a great Support system to take that step of confidence, though I totally understand why you have had hesitancy to. I don't know that my Secret is all that revealing really, I've always envied those incredibly bold Souls who ran away and joined the Circus or something equally exciting, amazing and unconventional. It's something I always dreamed of doing and of coarse didn't have the guts to actually do. I Love hearing the incredible adventures and life stories of those that did tho', they are indeed Kindred Spirits in how they feel about Life in general... even tho' they were more courageous than I in the doing of Life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join the circus! What a great idea. Wanna do it together?!

      Delete
  13. Good for you, I applaud your courage. :)

    ReplyDelete