Sunday, June 3, 2012

High and Low

I appreciate things both high and low.  I look for something's intrinsic value, which is different from its cultural and class association.  Some things considered to be "low class" -- like motorcycles -- are insanely fun and valuable.  Other things considered high class, like haughty restaurants, are stuffy and uncomfortable.  The key is to hone in on a thing's intrinsic value -- what it offers in reality.

I apply this approach to food.  Last Christmas, I savored caviar that cost $400 for a tiny amount.  It was delicious.  Today, when buying a birthday gift for my dad in the liquor store, I stumbled upon something that made me laugh.  I bought bottles for both him and me.  Here they are...






Made in rural Tennessee, this Moonshine is apple pie flavored.  The same flavor that Mags Bennett made on the terrific TV show, Justified.

Have you ever tried Moonshine?!

12 comments:

  1. I haven't! But I've also never tried a lot of alcohol. I just don't drink much. (I do like a shot of Southern Comfort though, Mmm)

    Have you ever had a Googoo cluster?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that I've ever tried this or moonshine from a back country still either. In fact, I need to be very, very careful with whiskey in all forms...in part because I REALLY enjoy the taste of it. This will be a fun gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm, isn't moonshine supposed to be a health hazard because of unsafe brewing/distilling conditions that mean the wrong kind of alcohol gets made? Or has it come to be more of a brand name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real moonshine, as you say, is dangerous because its making is unregulated. This product, however, is corn whiskey made by a normal (regulated) manufacturer, who is trading on the negative connotations of the moonshine name.

      Delete
  4. I've never tried moonshine, but if it tastes like apple pie, then I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband bought us some of the "legal" Moonshine or whatever and he tried it but I was too chicken. It smelled like Windex to me. If it tasted like Apple Pie it might help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have absolutely no idea what "Moonshine" is.
    But reading comments I understand it is a type of alcohol- which I am not a fan of :)
    I appreciate things for what they are and not for how much they cost. I can like something cheap or something super expensive, its a matter of taste. I know people that will like something just because of the brand-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Moonshine" refers to alcohol brewed in the woods by rural people without approval of the government. It was typically made from simple grain, like corn, and created in unhygienic conditions which gave it a reputation for being very strong and sometimes hazardous. The word now is used mainly as a joke.

      Delete
  7. Hahah I think if I drank moonshine I would be in a hospital bed but I can imagine the apple pie flavour would at least let it go down easier! You'll have to let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I think we all deserve a thorough review of that one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had moonshine. Real moonshine. It tasted like rubbing alcohol and one shot got it done. It felt like my insides were on fire. Some old rancher had it at a local bar about 11 years ago. Straight out of a mason jar lol.

    ReplyDelete