Friday, August 28, 2026

Recovering My Mojo

Last May, at the beginning of Summer, I declared an intention to return to photography. I hadn't taken a picture in three years (since my eyesight went south). 

I admitted apprehension because my one attempt to take photos after vision loss was a disaster. My eyesight is really, really bad. But... as we bikers say, it's the journey, not the destination. Since childhood I've loved photography, especially with film. I want to re-claim that joy even if the results are poor. After all I'm doing it just for myself: I'm not a professional artist or trying to sell anything. I can live with mediocre images as long as creating them is fun. And it is.

Over the Summer I took my vintage 1972 Kodak Instamatic 30, loaded it with 110-cartridge film and ventured out to the world. I believe I crafted a few photos worth sharing. I'll post them in about two weeks after the film negatives are developed and scanned. (I use the aptly-named "Old School Photo Lab" in New Hampshire.)

10 comments:

  1. If the globe is one of yours, SB, I think you've framed that beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The globe itself isn't mine but the photo is. :)

      The large sculpture, called the Unisphere, is in Queens, NY. It was built for the 1964 World's Fair (which I attended and played music at). During my photo-shoot at the site a decade ago I slipped and fell and hurt myself pretty badly while circling the object for the best angle. Despite bleeding I persevered to get this photo.

      Delete
  2. Your photography has always been one of my favorite parts of following your blog, Ally. I know it won't come easy, but I'm glad you're getting your groove back.

    I've started writing again, just maybe two weeks ago. It's been a very long time. But it comes back in different ways! Hope we get the opportunity to see what you will share×

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And yay for your writing! Keep me posted on that.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to see more of your photography, Ally! You have such a good eye (metaphorical)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are amazing! And never forget, Monet made some of his most memorable and creative works towards the end of life, when his eyesight was failing. Think of it as an artistic opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm wrestling with this right now.

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy your photos. We went to the seaside with our friends last week and both of them had print cameras. Tim had a film camera and Lara had a Polaroid! It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Polaroid (and similar cameras) are fun because of their instant gratification.

      Delete