Saturday, July 13, 2024

Fountain Pens

It's fun to look at the past and see how people lived before us. For example, prior to the introduction of ballpoint pens (around 1950) everyone wrote with "fountain pens." Do you know what a fountain pen is? Have you ever used one?

For thousands of years humans used primitive writing tools like a stylus or quill. The first fountain pen was invented 200 years ago in 1827. During the next 60 years its design was improved until Lewis Waterman perfected it in the 1880s (and built a famous company). People used fountain pens exclusively until ballpoints became popular in the 1950s. They were invented during World War II but not commercially sold until after the war.

Pen enthusiasts love fountain pens not only for nostalgia but also because of their craftsmanship. Made skillfully with real materials like metal and wood, these writing instruments aren't disposable pieces of plastic junk. It's a joy to hold and write with these instruments. Many are works of art.

There are big differences between fountain pens and ballpoints. First, the ink. The liquid in fountain pens is water-soluable whereas ink in ballpoints is oil-based. Second, the tip. Fountain pens have a "nib" which channels ink from a reservoir to the tip. Nibs vary in size and shape which affects how the ink is spread on paper. Ballpoints, by contrast, use a spherical metal ball to transfer ink to paper.

Unlike ballpoints which require little skill, fountain pens take some practice to get good at wielding. Developing manual dexterity is a pleasant benefit that comes from using them. I have a simple fountain pen designed for childen (touted as "Your First Fountain Pen!"). If a kid can do it, so can you. The pen is made by LAMY, a successful German company.

When you read old letters, postcards or documents, chances are they were written with fountain pens. An experienced user quickly spots telltale signs from the appearance of the ink on the page. There is delightful charm in holding old documents written with these fine instruments. Come over and I'll show you how to use them.

17 comments:

  1. They're very very classy looking!

    I've never played much with nibbed pens aside from some very low grade ones in art class, but I did do a stent with brushes, quills and the solid form of India ink that you have to grind yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only fountain pens, of which I have several, but yesterday I picked up a set of calligraphy/comic dip (stick and nib) pens in a charity shop. I am old enough to remember learning to write with pens like this at school when desks still had built-in inkwells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! What a cool memory. Kudos on your collection and use of these. Calligraphy is a major reason modern people try fountain pens.

      Delete
  3. In my first two years of primary school - aged 6-7 - we used dip pens, which we dipped into ink pots built into our desks, and which regularly had to be refilled, obviously. Quite a messy business, as you might well imagine. Then we switched to fountain pens. In fact, we weren't allowed to use ballpoint pens until secondary school! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What fascinating history, Ann! I love hearing how changing tech moved into and out of our lives. And our resulting experiences with it. Thank you for sharing. For the reason you cite (mess) fountain pens were welcomed over dipping instruments. Development and use of a "reservoir" to hold ink was a big deal at the time.

      Delete
  4. I got a calligraphy kit when I was a kid (late 70s) and it had different nibs plus plastic reservoirs of inks in different colours, so not inkwells, but similar. I loved practicing the different types of font and playing with wide and narrow nibs. It taught me to go slowly and really focus on the beauty of forming letters. My handwriting today still owes a lot to that early kit (and I can still free-hand Old English and Uncial alphabets!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a great story. I tried calligraphy but lacked talent. My handwriting destined me to become either a doctor or lawyer. :)

      Delete
  5. Fountain pens really take some talent to use- I'm a little too impatient (haha) to use them, but I think they produce such beautiful calligraphy when done well!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I was intimidated by them for years. I'm gaining a little confidence with my kid-pen which may lead me into getting an adult one.

      Delete
  6. Back in the day I used to exclusively write letters with a fountain pen bought while living and working in Europe. I loved them at that time. The UK had so many great pen shops.

    As I've grown older and my hand has grown weaker I find it difficult to write with pens of any kind. They're hard for me to hold unless they have rubber around the shaft.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that. I find the size of a pen (where you grip it) now makes a big difference to me in terms of comfort.

      Delete
  7. I’ve never used a fountain pen myself, but your description of their elegance and the skill required to use them makes me curious to give it a try.

    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/07/how-to-style-jeans-and-tank-top-for-date-night.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try! There are inexpensive ones to play with or go to a pen store and experiment.

      Delete
  8. I LOVED my fountain pens. My first one, in primary school was red and black and came from WH Smith. In secondary school, I desperately wanted a Parker pen and received one for two Christnases (one black, one was silver). I loved them- they wrote ao nicely. I also had a blue Calligraphy pen in Year 6 at school as my Class Teacher ran a Calligraohy club. One lasting memory of my beloved Father in law was his ubiquitous Lamy fountain pen. We sentimentality kept it when he died. None of the other relatives felt like CBC and I did about it. I always loved his handwriting.
    It's been a while since I wrote with one. No idea what happened to all my Parker pens! Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice comment, pal. I hope you return to fountain pens! LAMY is my new favorite. I used to buy Montblanc but now focus more on function than form.

      Delete