Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Reading

It's ironic but before my vision-loss my eyesight was good. I never needed glasses, not even for reading. Which means I wasn't ready for the many foibles glasses create that the rest of you are long familiar with.

For instance, I learned that if you carry glasses in your pants pocket, they break in half. And that I have to lift my hand to my face several times a day to check if I'm wearing glasses 'cause I can't tell otherwise. 

The biggest discovery is how glasses change your appearance. The first glasses given me (not chosen) were large ugly rectangles that made me look like an elderly nursing home patient. Ugh! I returned to my optometrist and requested glasses that better reflect my personality. She asked, "Well, who are you?" 

I paused and explained, "I'm an artistic sort who used to ride motorcycles and take photographs. I crave real-life adventure and intellectual stimulation. I dabble in archaeology, philosophy, quantum physics and cinematic art -- but purely for fun as an amateur." 

She said, "I have just the right thing." And she did. 

My new glasses are perfect. Wait'll you see 'em!

11 comments:

  1. What a good optometrist to ask you that! Your glasses are basically a permanent accessory on your face, so they need to reflect who you are! I am fond of the brands Theo and Rapp - I've had pairs by both companies and love the interesting shapes and colours. Can't wait to see your new specs, Ally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. Since this is a style issue, guidance from you is very welcomed.

      Delete
  2. OOoh, I cannot wait to see them!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo! The anticipation! I've worn glasses over half my life now and Sheila is right - they are a very important accessory.

    I've been dreading needing to update mine because finding appropriate frames is quite hard. I still want to try going to an optometrist with that kind of attitude. I've been ordering online for the last few years to some degree of good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My optometrist and I spent over an hour looking at dozens of frames. I had no idea what was out there.

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to see your new glasses, Ally!
    I used to wear contact lenses for years, but a minor eye problem made me switch to glasses, and I never looked back. I now think I look weird without them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. When we get used to seeing folks in glasses, it's strange to see them without glasses. I could never deal with contacts; I'm too squeamish.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see them! Our glasses truly do make a huge impact on how people treat us.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now realize that which is why I didn't want to be seen as a boring old man.

      Delete
  6. I love your description of yourself and I cannot wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete